Composite signal generation IC in DIFAR Sonobuoys

In summary: I raise your bid, to Harris 20%. It would have been their style, but I have not seen an HE 1xx series listed anywhere.Harris, Hughes Aircraft (MOS Division), and Hybrid Systems are all Initial contenders.The initials "HE" did finally ring a bell. During WWII, in Royal Navy submarine warfare, when planning an attack or when being hunted, the initials HE were used, (not for “High Explosive”, like in gunnery), but for “Hydrophone Effect”. The written battle log would show something like; “Strong HE on 160°”, or “Distant HE, moving away to North”.Maybe the
nauman
Hi all

I came to know about an old IC called probably "HE100" which was being used in DIFAR Sonobuoys for generation of composite signal. This IC takes 'Omni', 'Sin and Cosine Dipoles' signals as input and generates composite signals using internally generated 7.5 KHz and 15 KHz carriers. This IC also had some commercial uses so it was available in market for some time. This IC has been discontinued (obsolete) for quite some time.
Does anyone has information about such IC? If some one can share its data sheet, it will be of great help.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks like a hard one to find. OK, I didn't try THAT hard. Do you have any other info, like other symbols on the IC, package type, pin count, etc? I assume it's an all analog IC, right? What were the commercial uses?

My gut impression is that the "HE" prefix is from Harris; I say this with about 10% confidence.

DaveE said:
My gut impression is that the "HE" prefix is from Harris; I say this with about 10% confidence.
Harris, Hughes Aircraft (MOS Division), and Hybrid Systems are all Initial contenders.
I raise your bid, to Harris 20%. It would have been their style, but I have not seen an HE 1xx series listed anywhere.

As it was used in US military hardware, it must have been second sourced by another US manufacturer. But it seems neither manufacturer pushed a JAN part number, nor presented it to the market as a listed product with a data sheet. It may have been too specific an application. As a modulator, it could have been based on MOS analog switches, or BJT multipliers.

Perhaps the best aid to identification would be a date window. 1975-1980?

Likes DaveE
Some history and how to decode DIFAR signals:
https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.5114810
(found with: https://www.google.com/search?&q=theory+DIFAR+Sonobuoy)

A current(?) supplier:
Sonobuoy Tech Systems supplies U.S.- specified sonobuoy products and support to the international market.
Phone: 260.248.3503 Fax: 260.248.3510 Website: www.sonobuoytechsystems.com
Sonobuoys are subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

Ultra Electronics USSI
4868 East Park 30 Drive
Columbia City, IN 46725

(below found with: https://www.google.com/search?&q=an/ssq-53d)

The Military Analysis Network
(https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-ssq-53.htm)
lists the differences between the B, C, D, E variants of the DIFAR buoys. The B version has a microprocessor involved. As of 1998, the D version was current.

This search turns up many Government sites with links that are SSQ-53 related; I have not investigated them:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=ssq-53+site:gov&oq=ssq-53+site:gov

Have Fun! (and please let us know what you find about that IC, I'm curious too)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes nauman
The initials "HE" did finally ring a bell. During WWII, in Royal Navy submarine warfare, when planning an attack or when being hunted, the initials HE were used, (not for “High Explosive”, like in gunnery), but for “Hydrophone Effect”. The written battle log would show something like; “Strong HE on 160°”, or “Distant HE, moving away to North”.
Maybe that could be how the part number of a DIFAR circuit board, and then a dedicated IC arose.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Two duplicate thread starts merged into one
Hi all

Is there any commercial IC available used for composite signal generation in DIFAR Sonobuoys?

Thanks

Last edited:
nauman said:
Unfortunately no. Still searching for some clue.
Please don't start multiple threads on the same question. Your two threads have been merged.

nauman said:
Does anyone has information about such IC? If some one can share its data sheet, it will be of great help.
nauman said:
Is there any commercial IC available used for composite signal generation in DIFAR Sonobuoys?
It is highly likely that the system is now implemented with a signal processor on a CMOS chip. Such ICs will be restricted to allied military manufacturers, so information will not be widely available. I would directly contact Harris Corporation in the USA, as they are most deeply involved with DIFAR technology.

Maybe you want to identify a weakness, or a method of jamming DIFAR sonobuoys.

Perhaps you might identify your nationality, and explain clearly why you need the information.

Likes berkeman
nauman said:
Unfortunately no. Still searching for some clue.

Baluncore said:
It is highly likely that the system is now implemented with a signal processor on a CMOS chip. Such ICs will be restricted to allied military manufacturers, so information will not be widely available. I would directly contact Harris Corporation in the USA, as they are most deeply involved with DIFAR technology.

Maybe you want to identify a weakness, or a method of jamming DIFAR sonobuoys.

Perhaps you might identify your nationality, and explain clearly why you need the information.
@nauman -- I know that you have been back to PF after Baluncore's response, but have not responded to his questions. You don't need to answer his question about where you are located (although as a Mentor I can see that), but please reply with why you are asking these questions. Thank you.

1. What is a composite signal generation IC in DIFAR Sonobuoys?

A composite signal generation IC (integrated circuit) in DIFAR (Directional Frequency Analysis and Recording) Sonobuoys is a specialized electronic component that is responsible for generating and transmitting the composite signal used for underwater acoustic sensing and tracking.

2. How does a composite signal generation IC work?

The IC receives input signals from multiple sensors, such as hydrophones, and combines them to create a composite signal that can be transmitted through the water. This signal contains information about the direction, frequency, and intensity of underwater sounds, allowing for accurate tracking and identification of underwater targets.

3. What are the advantages of using a composite signal generation IC in DIFAR Sonobuoys?

The use of a composite signal generation IC allows for more accurate and reliable detection and tracking of underwater targets. It also allows for better discrimination between different types of underwater sounds, such as those from marine animals versus those from submarines.

4. Can a composite signal generation IC be used in other applications?

While the primary use of a composite signal generation IC is in DIFAR Sonobuoys, it can also be used in other underwater acoustic sensing and tracking systems. It may also have potential applications in other fields, such as medical imaging.

5. What are some key features to look for in a composite signal generation IC for DIFAR Sonobuoys?

Some important features to consider when choosing a composite signal generation IC for DIFAR Sonobuoys include its frequency range, signal-to-noise ratio, and power consumption. It is also important to ensure compatibility with other components and the overall system design.