How Do You Determine If Compounds Contain Ions and Their Charges?

In summary: In the case of NaCl, Na loses an electron (giving it a positive charge) and Cl gains an electron (giving it a negative charge) to form ions. In the case of N2, both nitrogen atoms have the same electronegativity, so no electrons are transferred and there are no ions present. Therefore, the formal charge for N2 would be 0. In summary, the compounds that contain ions are NaCl and AlCl3, with formal charges of +1 and +3 respectively.
givemeknowledge
Hey,

So I've got a homework question which is gradually transforming by brain into mashed potato!

Here it is..

Identify which of the following compounds contains ions and state the formal charges on the ions: NaCl, N2, MgO, AlCl3, and CO2.

Now, I'm not asking for someone to come in and give me the answer to all of them, I'm just after how I can find the answers, I just don't understand after a long time Googling..

I've had a crack and found that NaCl is ionic, but I just don't understand how to figure out the formal charge..

I'm at a loss, any help will be great - thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: octet rule-

By the way, please do not remove the homework template, but use it to set up your question.

Likes givemeknowledge
DrClaude said:
Hint: octet rule-

By the way, please do not remove the homework template, but use it to set up your question.

I've read about the octet rule but just can't join the two together, FML.

Okay I won't in future, I'm very new here.

Take NaCl as an example. What do you need to do to Na and Cl so that both follow the octet rule?

Likes givemeknowledge
Na needs to gain an electron (I think) and Cl needs to lose an electron to reach the nearest full shell

So would I be right in thinking...

If N2 is 2 nitrogen atoms, and both have a charge of 3- does that give it a formal charge of 6-?

One thing that's confusing me.. The question says "the following compounds" yet N2 is not a compound... hmm

givemeknowledge said:
Na needs to gain an electron (I think) and Cl needs to lose an electron to reach the nearest full shell
What is the electron configuration of Na and Cl?

givemeknowledge said:
If N2 is 2 nitrogen atoms, and both have a charge of 3- does that give it a formal charge of 6-?
Don't you have to determine if ir contains ions first?

givemeknowledge said:
One thing that's confusing me.. The question says "the following compounds" yet N2 is not a compound... hmm
What do you call a compound?

DrClaude said:
What is the electron configuration of Na and Cl?

Na - 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^1

Cl - 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^5

Don't you have to determine if ir contains ions first?

Yeah I do!

What do you call a compound?

Something made up of more than one element's atoms?

So, for Na and Cl, what is the simplest way to fulfill the octet rule?

Does N2 contain ions? Indeed, it is not strictly speaking a compound, but you can treat it as such for this question (actually, this gives you a hint as to whether it contains ions or not).

While N2 is technically not a compound, it is still a molecule - so it can either be ionic, or not.

What is the difference between a compound and an ion?

A compound is a substance composed of two or more elements chemically bonded together, while an ion is an atom or molecule that has gained or lost electrons, resulting in a positive or negative charge.

How are compounds and ions formed?

Compounds are formed through chemical reactions, where atoms of different elements combine to form new substances. Ions are formed when atoms gain or lose electrons, usually through interactions with other atoms or molecules.

What is the role of compounds and ions in chemical reactions?

Compounds and ions play a crucial role in chemical reactions as they are the substances that react with each other to form new products. Compounds provide the necessary elements for reactions to occur, while ions provide the charges necessary for reactions to proceed.

How are compounds and ions represented in chemical equations?

Compounds are represented by their chemical formulas, which show the elements present and the ratio of atoms in the compound. Ions are represented by their charge and the element they belong to. In chemical equations, compounds and ions are written on the reactant and product sides to show their involvement in the reaction.

What are some examples of compounds and ions?

Examples of compounds include water (H2O), sodium chloride (NaCl), and carbon dioxide (CO2). Examples of ions include sodium ion (Na+), chloride ion (Cl-), and carbonate ion (CO3^2-).