1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compounds and ions help please

1. Oct 4, 2016 #1
    Hey,

So I've got a homework question which is gradually transforming by brain in to mashed potato!

Here it is..

Identify which of the following compounds contains ions and state the formal charges on the ions: NaCl, N2, MgO, AlCl3, and CO2.

Now, I'm not asking for someone to come in and give me the answer to all of them, I'm just after how I can find the answers, I just don't understand after a long time Googling..

I've had a crack and found that NaCl is ionic, but I just don't understand how to figure out the formal charge..

I'm at a loss, any help will be great - thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Hint: octet rule-

By the way, please do not remove the homework template, but use it to set up your question.

4. Oct 4, 2016 #3
    I've read about the octet rule but just can't join the two together, FML.

Okay I won't in future, I'm very new here.

5. Oct 4, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Take NaCl as an example. What do you need to do to Na and Cl so that both follow the octet rule?

6. Oct 4, 2016 #5
    Na needs to gain an electron (I think) and Cl needs to lose an electron to reach the nearest full shell

7. Oct 4, 2016 #6
    So would I be right in thinking...

If N2 is 2 nitrogen atoms, and both have a charge of 3- does that give it a formal charge of 6-?

One thing that's confusing me.. The question says "the following compounds" yet N2 is not a compound... hmm

8. Oct 4, 2016 #7

DrClaude

What is the electron configuration of Na and Cl?

Don't you have to determine if ir contains ions first?

What do you call a compound?

9. Oct 4, 2016 #8

10. Oct 5, 2016 #9

DrClaude

So, for Na and Cl, what is the simplest way to fulfill the octet rule?

Does N2 contain ions? Indeed, it is not strictly speaking a compound, but you can treat it as such for this question (actually, this gives you a hint as to whether it contains ions or not).

11. Oct 5, 2016 #10

Borek

While N2 is technically not a compound, it is still a molecule - so it can either be ionic, or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted