Compressed nitrogen v flow rate question

In summary: To convert to bar, divide by 1.0007. So, 1.35/1.0007 = 0.135 bar. You need 2700 min. of nitrogen at 0.135 bar.
yoyo28
Currently i have a system using bulk argon and i am changing to nitrogen. To trial this i am going to use cylinders
of OFN(oxygen free nitrogen). how do i caculate how many cylinders i need based on a flow rate of 16 liters/min.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Its a 44-w (9.78 Cubic Mtrs) @200bar going into a machine that consumes 16 liters of gas per minute. how many of these cylinders would i need and how do you calculate usage?

Thanks

yoyo28 said:
consumes 16 liters of gas per minute
You know how fast you're using it.
yoyo28 said:
(9.78 Cubic Mtrs)
You know how much is in a cylinder.
You can calculate how long a cylinder will last at that rate. Decide how long you'll run on nitrogen and calculate the number of cylinders you need.

Does it matter what pressure the cylinder is at(200bar) v machine (6bar).

The way I read the link for the "44-W," the 9.78 is the content of the cylinder at STP. Now you've given me a lower service pressure of 6 bar (gauge or absolute?) which changes things. For your purposes the cylinder will be empty at 6 bar, gauge will be different from absolute. Any other details to add before we start a rough calculation?

this is gauge pressure. what formula are you using?

For seven atm., the ideal gas equation of state should be good enough. 9.78 over 7 is 1.4 m3 for your use, - 44 liter left in the cylinder when "empty" is 1.35, over 16 liter/min is an hour and 20 minutes per bottle. You'll want to check with the vendor about the 9.78 m3, but that looks about right.

Likes yoyo28
Thanks, would this be the same calculation for other gas(argon). ie machine with flowrate of 0.5l(argon/nitrogen) per minute. So 1.35/0.5 = 2700 min.
why are you deviding by 7?

You're running at an absolute pressure of seven atmospheres.

Related to Compressed nitrogen v flow rate question

1. What is compressed nitrogen?

Compressed nitrogen is a gas that has been compressed into a smaller volume and is stored under high pressure. It is a colorless, odorless, and non-toxic gas that is commonly used in various industrial, medical, and scientific applications.

2. What is flow rate and why is it important?

Flow rate is the volume of a fluid or gas that passes through a given point in a specific amount of time. In the case of compressed nitrogen, it refers to the amount of nitrogen that is released from a compressed source in a given time. This is an important parameter to monitor as it can affect the performance and efficiency of various processes and equipment.

3. How is compressed nitrogen's flow rate measured?

The flow rate of compressed nitrogen can be measured using various instruments such as flowmeters, rotameters, or mass flow controllers. These instruments measure the volume or mass of the gas passing through them and provide a reading in units such as liters per minute or standard cubic feet per hour.

4. What factors can affect the flow rate of compressed nitrogen?

The flow rate of compressed nitrogen can be affected by several factors such as the pressure of the gas, the diameter and length of the tubing or piping, and the back pressure from the equipment or process it is being used for. Other factors such as temperature, composition, and viscosity of the gas can also have an impact on the flow rate.

5. How can the flow rate of compressed nitrogen be controlled?

The flow rate of compressed nitrogen can be controlled by adjusting the pressure of the gas source, using flow control valves or regulators, and by using instruments such as mass flow controllers that allow for precise control of the flow rate. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the flow rate to ensure optimal performance and safety in various applications.