Computing the expectation value of momentum, kinetic energy, and compute

You need to show some effort before we can help you with the next step.In summary, the conversation discusses a wave function and how to compute the expectation value of the momentum and kinetic energy, as well as ΔxΔp for the given wave function. It also mentions the normalization of the wave function and the operator forms of momentum, position, and kinetic energy in the position basis. Finally, it provides a walkthrough on how to calculate the expectation values of momentum and kinetic energy, and suggests the use of these values to solve for ΔxΔp according to the uncertainty principle.
laser123
1. consider this wave function ψ(x)=(√(30/L^5))(L-x) if 0≤x≤L
and 0 else
2. Compute the expectation value of the momentum. Compute the expectation value of the kinetic energy.
Compute Δ p⋅Δ x for*this*wavefunction3. I have already proven that the wave function is normalized so it's equal to one. I just have no idea how to do the following. Thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi laser123,

Recall that the definition of the expectation value [itex] \langle A \rangle [/itex] for any operator A is defined as [itex] \langle A \rangle = \langle \psi | A | \psi \rangle [/itex]. Do you know the operator forms of momentum, position, and kinetic energy in the position basis?

Additionally, recall that [itex] \Delta A = \sqrt{ \langle A^2 \rangle - \langle A \rangle^2 }[/itex]. Once you calculate the square of the expectation value and the expectation value of the square of the position and momentum, you can do some simple calculations to solve for [itex] \Delta x \Delta p[/itex].

Hope this helps!

I am familiar with the momentum operator. Not so much with the kinetic energy or position operator

Thank You!

Remember that, for the transition from classical dynamical variables to quantum dynamical variables, we replace the respective variable with its operator (where applicable).

In the X basis, when we act on a ket [itex] | \psi \rangle [/itex] with the position operator, we obtain the position. As an eigenvalue equation, [itex] X | \psi \rangle = x | \psi \rangle [/itex].

The classical representation of kinetic energy is [tex] KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 = \frac{1}{2} \frac{p^2}{2m} [/tex] The transition to quantum mechanics, then, requires inserting the momentum operator [itex] \hat{p} = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]. (This is for the 1-D momentum operator in the position basis.) The kinetic energy then becomes [tex] KE = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} = - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} [/tex]

Now simply use the expectation value equations in order to solve for the expectation values of momentum and kinetic energy.

I calculated the expectation value of the momentum to be <p> to be 0. The kinetic energy i calculated this to be (5/L^3)(ħ^2/2m). I have no idea how to do the last part! A dummy walk through on this uncertainty principle part would be awesome :D. Thank you!

Thanks jmcleve

laser123 said:
I calculated the expectation value of the momentum to be <p> to be 0. The kinetic energy i calculated this to be (5/L^3)(ħ^2/2m). I have no idea how to do the last part! A dummy walk through on this uncertainty principle part would be awesome :D. Thank you!

Thanks jmcleve

Before we do the dummy walkthrough, can you show me how you computed the expectation values for the momentum and kinetic energy? Since this wavefunction is a little weird, I'm wondering if I'm calculating it correctly myself.

For momentum i set up <P>=∫((√30/L^5)) P((√30/L^5)x(L-x))/1[/STRIKE] because the function is already normalized. So i subbed -iℏd/dx for p and distributed and applied the derivative function. Then I took the actual integral from 0 to L of what was left over. it all canceled very nicely, but took like a whole page of work.

For kinetic I did the same thing <T> = ∫((√30/L^5)) T((√30/L^5)x(L-x))/1. instead i subbed what you gave me inside of it (−ℏ^2/2m)(d^2/dx^2) and literally did the same as above but it canceled to (5/L^3)(ℏ^2/2m)

Sorry -- is the wavefunction supposed to be [itex] \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{30}{L^5}} x (L-x) [/itex]? From the calculation you just did, it looks like that. But your original post is [itex] \psi(x) = \sqrt{\frac{30}{L^5}} (L-x) [/itex]. Frankly, I like the former more than the latter.

laser123 said:
The forum rules require you show some effort at attempting the problem yourself. Jmceive's already given you enough information in this thread for you to make some attempt at solving the last part of the problem.

Related to Computing the expectation value of momentum, kinetic energy, and compute

1. What is the purpose of computing the expectation value of momentum and kinetic energy?

The expectation value of momentum and kinetic energy is a measure of the average value of these physical quantities in a given system. It allows scientists to better understand the behavior and dynamics of particles or systems in the context of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the expectation value of momentum and kinetic energy calculated?

The expectation value is calculated by taking the integral of the momentum or kinetic energy operator over the wavefunction of the system. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation and applying the appropriate mathematical operators.

3. What factors can affect the expectation value of momentum and kinetic energy?

The expectation value can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the system, the potential energy of the system, and the temperature of the system. These factors can alter the wavefunction and thus impact the calculation of the expectation value.

4. How does computing the expectation value of momentum and kinetic energy contribute to scientific research?

Computing the expectation value allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles or systems, which can then be tested and refined through experiments. This contributes to our understanding of fundamental physical principles and can also have practical applications in fields such as materials science and quantum computing.

5. Are there any limitations to computing the expectation value of momentum and kinetic energy?

One limitation is that the calculation is based on the Schrödinger equation, which is a simplified model of quantum mechanics. In reality, other factors such as quantum entanglement and relativistic effects may also play a role. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation can be affected by the complexity of the system and the approximation methods used.