1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concave mirror problem

1. Jun 3, 2004 #1
    Well, here is the problem:

A girl has her 2-cm high eye 12 cm directly in front of a concave mascara mirror or focal length 18 cm. Where is the object located, and what is the magnification?

I'm really lost on this one.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized this would be better suited for the homework help k12 forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

mirror equation

I presume that her eye is the object and that you are trying to find where the image is.

You'll need the lens/mirror equation:
    [tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{o} + \frac{1}{i}[/tex]

And you'll also need the linear magnification:
    [tex]M = -\frac{i}{o}[/tex]

To understand what these mean, and how to use the sign conventions, read your text. Give it a try.

4. Jun 3, 2004 #3
    Just in case your text uses the same variable names as the one we used to study this, Doc Al' [tex]o[/tex] signifies the distance of the object from the mirror and [tex]i[/tex] signifies the distance of the image from the mirror. Sometimes they are replaced by [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex] repsectively, so your formula might look like this:

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{v}[/tex]

5. Jun 3, 2004 #4
    Okay, thanks chen and doc al.
    I didn't have those equations, and didn't have access to the text (end of the year, books had been turned in already).

So I did use the right equation...good.

Thanks Chen for the variables thing, honestly, thanks.

6. Jun 4, 2004 #5
    No problem. Since you already returned your books, you might want to a take a look at HyperPhysics:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hph.html
    It provides a clear and concise explanation of many basic subjects in physics (and math).

7. Jun 4, 2004 #6
    Don't forget, when doing concave mirrors/converging lens, focal length is always positive.
    When doing convex mirrors/diverging lens, focal length is always negative.

*Just in case you were doing similar problems involving mirrosrs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?