Concentric Circles & Magnetic fields

In summary, the emf around the ring is determined by the square of the ring's radius and there is an increasing trend.
MikeSSSS

Homework Statement

Figure a below shows two concentric circular regions in which uniform magnetic fields can change. Region 1, with radius r1 = 1 cm, has an outward magnetic field 1 that is increasing in magnitude. Region 2, with radius r2 = 2 cm, has an outward magnetic field 2 that may also be changing. Imagine that a conducting ring of radius R is centered on the two regions and then the emf around the ring is determined. Figure b gives emf as a function of the square R2 of the ring's radius, to the outer edge of region 2. The vertical axis scale is set by s = 24 nV.
30-p-078.gif

(a)What is the rate dB1/dt?
µT/s

(b)What is the rate dB2/dt?
µT/s

(c) Is the magnitude of 2 increasing, decreasing, or remaining constant?
B2 is increasing
B2 is decreasing
B2 is remaining constant

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that once I find part b, if it is 0, then for part c B2 is remaining constant. If B2 is positive then the anwser for part c is that B2 is increasing. Finally, if B2 is negative in part B, then part c will be decreasing.

I think for part A it is just a matter of looking at the graph and counting how many nV there are at each distance of the ring. I'm not really sure where else to go from there.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation (yes, there is one) relevant to this problem will be in your physics textbook. Look for "induced emf" or "faraday's law" or "induction", either in the contents or index.

Okay great, I found Faraday's Law (E = -d(Magnetic Flux)/dt).

I will try to work with this and see if this gets me any closer to a solution.

Thanks

What are concentric circles?

Concentric circles are a series of circles that share the same center point. They are often used in geometry and can be found in various natural and man-made objects, such as tree rings and target boards.

How are concentric circles related to magnetic fields?

In the context of magnetic fields, concentric circles represent the magnetic field lines that surround a magnet or a moving electric charge. These circles show the direction of the magnetic field at different points around the magnet or charge.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible area around a magnet or a moving electric charge where its magnetic force can be detected. It is a vector field, meaning it has both direction and magnitude.

How are concentric circles used to visualize magnetic fields?

Concentric circles are commonly used in diagrams and illustrations to show the shape and direction of magnetic fields. By drawing these circles around a magnet or electric charge, we can easily visualize the direction and strength of the magnetic field at different points.

What is the significance of the spacing between concentric circles in a magnetic field diagram?

The spacing between concentric circles in a magnetic field diagram represents the strength or intensity of the magnetic field. The closer the circles are together, the stronger the magnetic field is at that point. Similarly, wider spacing between circles indicates a weaker magnetic field.