1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concentric Cylindrical Conducting Shells Potential Difference

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infiinitely long solid conducting cylindrical shell of radius a = 4.5 cm and negligible thickness is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The shell is charged, having a linear charge density λinner = -0.35 μC/m. Concentric with the shell is another cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 17.1 cm, and outer radius c = 20.1 cm. This conducting shell has a linear charge density λ outer = 0.35μC/m.

https://www.physicsbrain.com/images/content/EM/08/h8_cylinder.png

What is V(c) – V(a), the potential difference between the the two cylindrical shells?

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \Delta V = V_b - V_a = \frac{{\Delta U}}{{q_0 }} = - \int_a^b {E \cdot d\ell } [/tex]

V(c)-V(a) = -integral from A to C of the Electric Field dot dl

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start. I don't even know how to get the electric field or charge of a 3-D object (outer cylindrical shell) when I'm only given lambda, charge/meter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    Use Gauss's law to get the electric field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook