Condition of the charge density of atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between various electric fields, charge distributions, and distances. It includes discussions about equilibrium, Gauss' law, and a possible proof for the constancy of charge density.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-8-5_13-3-3.png

upload_2017-8-5_13-28-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\rho = b r
\\E =\frac { k r^2} {4ε_0}
\\ p ∝ E^a
\\E \left ( r=d \right ) = \frac { k d^2} {4ε_0}
\\ p = q d
\\ d ∝ d^{2a}
\\a = ½
\\p ∝ √E ##

PART B

##\rho ∝ r^n
\\E ∝r^{n+1}
\\ p ∝ E^a
\\d ∝d ^{{n+1}a}
\\## For eq. 4.1 to hold, ## a = \frac 1 { n+1} =1
\\ n = 0##
So, rho should be constant.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-4_16-37-28.png
    upload_2017-8-4_16-37-28.png
    17 KB · Views: 428
  • upload_2017-8-5_13-2-43.png
    upload_2017-8-5_13-2-43.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 481
  • upload_2017-8-5_13-4-40.png
    upload_2017-8-5_13-4-40.png
    553 bytes · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
OK. I think your answers are correct. Note that you are dealing with two different electric fields: the applied electric field and the field of the negative charge distribution. It would be nice if you explained why you didn't bother to distinquish between these fields in your calculation.

Can you give a more general proof for part B that does not assume that ##\rho(r)## varies as ##r## to some power?

Last edited:
TSny said:
It would be nice if you explained why you didn't bother to distinquish between these fields in your calculation.

In equilibrium, net force acting on the nucleus ## \vec F_{net} = q\left ( \vec E_{app.} + \vec E_ {ne. ch. dis. }\right ) = 0 \\ | \vec E_{app.}| = | \vec E_ {ne. ch. dis. }|
TSny said:
Can you give a more general proof for part B that does not assume that ρ(r)ρ(r)\rho(r) varies as rrr to some power?
Using Taylor's expansion, I can write ##\rho \left ( r \right) ## as a polynomial function of r.
So, ## \rho \left (r \right ) = Ar^n + B r^{n - 1} +... + Nr^0
##
So, the same procedure will give me ##

\\d ∝ Ad ^{\{{n+1}\}a} + B d^na + Cd ^{\{{n-1}\}a}+... + \ln r ##
Now, what to do?

Pushoam said:
In equilibrium, net force acting on the nucleus ## \vec F_{net} = q\left ( \vec E_{app.} + \vec E_ {ne. ch. dis. }\right ) = 0 \\ | \vec E_{app.}| = | \vec E_ {ne. ch. dis. }##
Yes.

Using Taylor's expansion, I can write ##\rho \left ( r \right) ## as a polynomial function of r.
So, ## \rho \left (r \right ) = Ar^n + B r^{n - 1} +... + Nr^0
##
So, the same procedure will give me ##

\\d ∝ Ad ^{\{{n+1}\}a} + B d^na + Cd ^{\{{n-1}\}a}+... + \ln r ##
Now, what to do?
I don't think you need to consider a Taylor expansion. What if you set up Gauss' law for a spherical surface of radius ##r## with ##r<R## and an arbitrary ##\rho(r)##?

TSny said:
I don't think you need to consider a Taylor expansion. What if you set up Gauss' law for a spherical surface of radius r with r<R and an arbitrary ρ(r)?
p = qr = α E

E = ## \frac 1 {4 \pi ε_0 r^2} \int_0 ^r 4 \pi \rho \left (r \right ) r^2 d\, r ##
qr = α ## \frac 1 {4 \pi ε_0 r^2} \int_0 ^r 4 \pi \rho \left (r \right ) r^2 d\, r ##

Dimensional analysis gives constant ρ as a possible answer.
But, I can't prove that ρ must be constant. Is there any uniqueness theorem to help prove so?

Pushoam said:
qr = α ## \frac 1 {4 \pi ε_0 r^2} \int_0 ^r 4 \pi \rho \left (r \right ) r^2 d\, r ##
Bring the denominator ##4 \pi ε_0 r^2## over to the left side. Then take the derivative of both sides with respect to r.

TSny said:
Bring the denominator## 4 \pi ε_0 r^2 ##over to the left side. Then take the derivative of both sides with respect to r.

O.K. So, for proving that ## \rho \left (r \right ) ## is constant, I have to bring ## \rho \left (r \right ) ## out of the integration.
And this could be done by differentiating both sides wrt r. I never had this idea before. Thanks for giving this insight.

## qr =\alpha \frac 1 {4 \pi ε_0 r^2} \int_0 ^r 4 \pi \rho \left (r \right ) r^2 d\, r ##
## r^3 = C \int_0 ^r \rho \left (r \right ) r^2 d\, r ##
Differentiating both sides wrt r,
## r^2 = C' \rho \left (r \right ) r^2 \\ \rho \left (r \right ) = C" ##
Where C, C' and C" are appropriate constants.

While I have used here,
## \frac {d \int_0 ^r f \left (r \right ) d\, r} {dr} = f\left (r \right )##
Proof:
## \int_0 ^r f \left (r \right ) d\, r = F \left (r \right ) + F \left (0 \right ) ##
Since integration and differentiation are inverse operation of each other,
## \frac {d\{F \left (r \right ) + F \left (0 \right )\} } {dr} = f \left (r \right )
\\ \frac {d \int_0 ^r f \left (r \right ) d\, r } {dr} = f \left (r \right )##

Solution of the 2nd part of this question gives : For eqn. 4.1 to hold true in the weak field limit , the negative charge density of the atom must be constant. This means that the electron cloud should be uniformly distributed.

Now , in solving the following problem
upload_2017-8-7_17-28-7.png

where the charge density is not constant, I used the eqn. 4.1.
So, does this mean that I solved it wrong?

Pushoam said:
Solution of the 2nd part of this question gives : For eqn. 4.1 to hold true in the weak field limit , the negative charge density of the atom must be constant. This means that the electron cloud should be uniformly distributed.

Now , in solving the following problem
View attachment 208501

where the charge density is not constant, I used the eqn. 4.1.
So, does this mean that I solved it wrong?
No, you probably solved it correctly. For 4.1 to hold (to a good approximation), you only need the electron cloud to be approximately uniform in the vicinity of the nucleus since the displacement of the nucleus relative to the center of the cloud will be very small in the weak field limit. Thus, you can use ##e^{-x} \approx 1-x \approx 1## for small x for the hydrogen atom cloud. So, you can treat the cloud as uniform in the neighborhood of the nucleus. Therefore, you can use 4.1.

TSny said:
Thus, you can use ##e^{-x} \approx 1-x \approx 1 ## for small x for the hydrogen atom cloud.
Under this approximation i.e. ##e^{-x} \approx 1-x \approx 1 ## , the answer to the problem 4.2 is ## 4 \pi ε_0 a^3##.
While the answer given in the solution of the book is ## 3 \pi ε_0 a^3##. I am attaching the solution to the problem for both the cases i.e. uniform and non- uniform charge density.

Attachments

• 4.2 solution.pdf
    681.8 KB · Views: 692
I don't see the need to go through the tedious calculation shown in the solution. If you approximate the exponential by 1, then the charge density near the nucleus is approximately uniform, ##\rho = \frac{q}{\pi a^3}##. That will yield ##\alpha = 3 \pi a^3 \varepsilon_0##.

TSny said:
I don't see the need to go through the tedious calculation shown in the solution. If you approximate the exponential by 1, then the charge density near the nucleus is approximately uniform, ##\rho = \frac{q}{\pi a^3}##. That will yield ##\alpha = 3 \pi a^3 \varepsilon_0##.
Oh yeah! I got my mistake. Here, the total charge is ##\frac 3 4 q ## instead of q.

Thank you.

OK, good.

1. What is the charge density of an atom?

The charge density of an atom refers to the distribution of electric charge within the atom. It is a measure of the amount of charge per unit volume within the atom.

2. How is the charge density of an atom calculated?

The charge density of an atom is calculated by dividing the total charge of the atom by its volume. This can be determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations using the atom's atomic number and mass.

3. What factors affect the charge density of an atom?

The charge density of an atom is influenced by several factors including the number of protons and electrons in the atom, the size of the atom's nucleus, and the arrangement of electrons in the atom's energy levels.

4. How does the charge density of an atom relate to its physical properties?

The charge density of an atom can affect its physical properties, such as its chemical reactivity and its ability to form bonds with other atoms. Atoms with higher charge densities may have stronger interatomic forces and thus exhibit different properties compared to atoms with lower charge densities.

5. Can the charge density of an atom be changed?

The charge density of an atom cannot be changed without altering its fundamental structure and properties. However, the overall charge of an atom can be altered through processes such as ionization, where electrons are added or removed from the atom.