Confused about gravitational potential energy?

In summary, the difference equation U=-GMm/r assumes U = 0 at r = ∞, while the second equation, U=GMm\left(\frac{1}{R}-\frac{1}{R+h}\right) determines the location where U = 0.
MrBillyShears
Gold Member
There is several things I am confused about with gravitational potential energy. So, first of all, shouldn't U=mgh always be written ΔU=mgΔh, because isn't that equation only dealing with differences of potential energies when close to the surface of earth?
Second, with the equation U=-GMm/r, there is a +K for the constant of integration at the end. What role does that play? Does that have something to do with reference frame, or is that just some random constant. I know that with differences of potential energies (ΔU=U(f)-U(i)) it will subtract itself and become irrelevant, but when you are just dealing with U(r) what significance does it have? Do you always just assume it's 0? Otherwise, wouldn't it make the single quantity U(r) useless if it could be anything?
Mind you it is rather late and I wrote this in pure confusion so some of the things I wrote may not make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Differences require a baseline. ΔU = U - U0 for some U0 which you define. Similarly, Δh = h- h0. You combine the definitions by assuming U = 0 when h = 0. It doesn't really matter because you only ever care about ΔU, e.g., an object fell this height so it gained this much energy...

U = mgh assumes U = 0 at h = 0. It's an approximation for objects close to the surface of the earth. U = -GMm/r assumes U = 0 at r = ∞.

At some level, what matters is what we can measure. In this case it is the force (basically energy difference), [itex]\mathbf{F}=-\nabla U[/itex]. On integration, we are free to add any integration constant to U. So what matters is the functional form of U(r), not its value. If you study more classical mechanics (i.e. some Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics), you will see that kind of thing over and over again.

Last edited:
MrBillyShears said:
Second, with the equation U=-GMm/r, there is a +K for the constant of integration at the end. What role does that play?

It determines the location where U = 0.

If we let K = 0, then U = -GMm/r, and U = 0 at r = ∞.

If we let K = GMm/R (where R is the radius of the earth), then U = GMm(1/R - 1/r), and U = 0 at the Earth's surface.

Either way, we get the same ΔU between two different r's, so they give the same physical results. K = 0 gives us a simpler formula, so we usually make that choice instead of the second one.

However, there is an interesting application for the second choice. Let r = R + h, where h is the distance above the Earth's surface. Then
$$U = GMm \left( \frac{1}{R} - \frac{1}{R+h} \right)$$
I leave it as an exercise to show that for h << R (i.e. close to the Earth's surface), U ≈ mgh. Hint: using the gravitational force law you can show that g = GM/R2.

Thanks guys, I get it now.

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work by virtue of its position in relation to other objects within the field.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and its height above a reference point. The formula is PE = mgh, where m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and height?

The relationship between gravitational potential energy and height is directly proportional. This means that as an object's height increases, its gravitational potential energy also increases. This is because the higher an object is positioned, the greater its potential energy due to its distance from the Earth's surface.

Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when an object's height is below a reference point, such as the ground. In this case, the object has negative potential energy because it would require energy to bring it up to the reference point.

What are some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy?

Some examples of gravitational potential energy in everyday life include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a book on a shelf, and a boulder at the top of a cliff. In each of these cases, the object has potential energy due to its position in a gravitational field.