1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about pulleys and tension

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    Sometimes when I see pulley and rope questions people will say "for a non-extensible rope the tension is uniform throughout the rope". But I am now learning pulleys and rotational inertia and it seems to be necessary to consider the rope on either side of a pulley to have _different_ tension if the pulley is being accelerated rotationally.

Why would this different tension not apply to a frictionless massless pulley that is being accelerated rotationally?

For example, here we see the rope have different tension on each side of the pulley:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The key word is massless. A massless pulley requires no net torque to rotationally accelerate, thus the tension must be the same on each side. (Actually, frictionless is important too! If there were friction, you'd need a net torque to overcome it.)

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    To be clear, the different torques are used when the pulley requires torque, but NOT simply because the pulley accelerates rotationally, correct?

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

6. Nov 8, 2013 #5
    I meant different TENSIONS, of course, not different torques.

Thanks haruspex!

7. Nov 8, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually, it can happen that torques are the same but the tensions are different. The pulley's axis could be off-centre.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted