Confused about short circuit and open circuit

In summary: current is highopen circuit : potential difference between endpoints of open is high, resistance is high,...current is zero
mohamed el teir
i know that short circuit is when current is max while resistance is zero and open circuit is when resistance is infinite and current is zero, but in terms of voltage, if i have a part of circuit and i want to know whether it is short or open circuit and i only know : the voltage and if the current is passing through the circuit or no. is the following true ? : the potential difference between the terminals of a short or open circuit is zero, but if a current is passing through the circuit so it is a short circuit while if there is no current is passing so it is an open circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much.
The potential difference between two points in the circuit that are shorted together is near zero and the current will be very high.
The potential difference between two points of an open should be equal to the applied voltage to the circuit (or to the applied voltage of that leg of the circuit), while current is zero.

Drakkith said:
Pretty much.
The potential difference between two points in the circuit that are shorted together is near zero and the current will be very high.
The potential difference between two points of an open should be equal to the applied voltage to the circuit (or to the applied voltage of that leg of the circuit), while current is zero.
so that sums it up in :
for a short circuit : the potential difference between the terminals is zero so the potential difference between the terminals and the voltage source is maximum so the current between the terminals and the voltage source is maximum and the resistance is minimum
for an open circuit : the potential difference between the terminals is maximum (equal to the voltage source) so the potential difference between the terminals and the voltage source is zero so the current between the terminals and the voltage source is minimum and the resistance is maximum
right ??

mohamed el teir said:
for a short circuit : the potential difference between the terminals is zero so the potential difference between the terminals and the voltage source is maximum so the current between the terminals and the voltage source is maximum and the resistance is minimum
for an open circuit : the potential difference between the terminals is maximum (equal to the voltage source) so the potential difference between the terminals and the voltage source is zero so the current between the terminals and the voltage source is minimum and the resistance is maximum
right ??

no, that's the complete opposite of what Drakkith told you

reread his post again

mohamed el teir said:

The potential difference between the terminals of your voltage source (assuming an ideal voltage source with zero internal resistance) would be equal to the applied voltage. The resistance between nearby points along the short circuited path is non-zero, which is why you have a finite amount of current. So the voltage drop between any two points along this path is also non-zero. The further the distance between the two points, the larger the resistance and the larger the voltage drop between them.

In basic terms, if you measure the voltage and current between two points of the circuit, and find that the voltage drop is low and the current is high, then yes, you have a short circuit. If you instead find that current is zero and the voltage drop is equal to the applied voltage, then you have an open.

mohamed el teir said:
right ??

That's right. In an open, measuring the voltage drop between one terminal of your voltage source and the connecting side of an open would give you zero voltage drop and zero current. Measuring across the open would give you zero current and a voltage drop equal to the applied voltage.

i meant by terminals the terminals of the circuit and by voltage source the applied voltage, sorry for being unclear
thanks man !

mohamed el teir said:
i meant by terminals the terminals of the circuit and by voltage source the applied voltage, sorry for being unclear
thanks man !

I can't remember seeing the word 'terminal' used at anything except to refer to the connections of a voltage/current source.

i meant to say endpoints* :D

to sum up again with correct words :
assume constant voltage applied for both cases :
short circuit : potential difference between endpoints of short circuit is low, resistance is low, current is high
open circuit : potential difference between endpoints of open circuit is equal to the voltage applied, resistance is high, current is low
right ?

That's right.

What is a short circuit?

A short circuit is an electrical connection between two points in a circuit that are not meant to be connected. This results in a flow of current that is larger than intended, which can cause damage to the circuit and potentially start a fire.

What causes a short circuit?

A short circuit can be caused by a variety of factors, including damaged insulation on wires, loose connections, and faulty components. It can also occur if a circuit is overloaded with too much current.

How is a short circuit different from an open circuit?

A short circuit is a path of low resistance that allows a large amount of current to flow, while an open circuit is a break in the circuit that prevents any current from flowing. In other words, a short circuit is an unintended connection, while an open circuit is an unintended disconnection.

How can I identify a short circuit?

A short circuit can be identified by visual inspection of the circuit, such as looking for damaged or melted wires. It can also be detected by using a multimeter to measure the resistance of the circuit, which will be very low in the case of a short circuit.

How do I fix a short circuit?

The first step in fixing a short circuit is to identify and remove the source of the problem, such as replacing a damaged wire or faulty component. It is important to ensure that the circuit is properly insulated and that there are no loose connections. It is also recommended to consult a professional electrician for any complex or potentially dangerous short circuits.