Confused on double integral in polar cords

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of the solid enclosed by a hyperboloid and a plane using polar coordinates. After solving for the equation of the hyperboloid, the intersection curve is determined and substituted into the integral. A substitution is then made to simplify the integral, resulting in an incorrect answer compared to the solution in the book.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the solid enclosed by the hyperboloid -x^2-y^2+z^2=1 and the plane z=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for z of the equation of the hyperboloid I find z = Sqrt(1 + x^2 + y^2). Letting z = 2 to determine the curve of intersection I find that 3 = x^2 + y^2, or r = Sqrt(3). Thus:

[tex]\int _{0}^{2Pi} \int _{0}^{3^(^1^/^2^)} (1+r^2)^(^1^/^2^)rdrd\theta[/tex]

Making the substitution u = 1 + r^2 gives:

[tex] \frac{1}{3}\right) \int _{0}^{2Pi} 7d\theta = \frac{14}{3} Pi[/tex]

The back of my book has 4/3*Pi. I don't understand how I am doing this problem wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrand should be zupper - zlower.

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a method of calculating the area under a curve in two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function with respect to both the radius and the angle in polar coordinates.

2. How do you convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the following formula:
∬f(x,y)dxdy = ∬f(r,θ)rdrdθ. This involves substituting the polar coordinates (r,θ) for the Cartesian coordinates (x,y) and replacing the differentials dx and dy with rdr and dθ respectively.

3. What is the relationship between a double integral in polar coordinates and a single integral?

A double integral in polar coordinates is equivalent to a single integral in Cartesian coordinates. This is because the area element in polar coordinates, r dr dθ, is equal to the area element in Cartesian coordinates, dx dy. Therefore, the integral in polar coordinates can be simplified into a single integral in Cartesian coordinates.

4. How do you evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates?

To evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates, you can use the following steps:
1. Convert the integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates.
2. Evaluate the inner integral with respect to r.
3. Substitute the limits of integration for r in the outer integral.
4. Evaluate the outer integral with respect to θ.

5. What are the applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to calculate the area, volume, and mass of objects with circular or rotational symmetry. They are also used in solving problems involving electric fields, gravitational fields, and fluid dynamics.