1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with Electric Potential/Potential Energy

1. Feb 22, 2005 #1
    There is a problem I am finding quite confusing:

Two particles, with charges of 20.0 nC and -20.0nC, are placed at the points with coordinates (0,4.00cm) and (0,-4.00cm). A particle with charge 10.0 nC is lcoated at the origin. Find the electric potential energy of the configuration of the three fixed charges.

I am having difficulty understanding the last sentence. For electric potential energy I thought I would use V = 8.99*10^9(q/r) , where I would sum up each charge? For example:

V1 = 8.99*10^9(20nC/4cm) V2 = 8.99*10^9(-20nC/4cm) V3=8.99*10^9(10/0)

Then the Electric potential energy would be V1 + V2 + V3 = 0?

Or would I use U = 8.99*10^9(q1*q2)/(distance from q1 to q2)

and follow the same procedure?

I am very confused with the question and what the book refers to as potential energy and electrical potential??

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the electric potential, V, is the potential energy per unit charge it is a scalar quantity that is a function of the separation and the charge. Since it is directionless, potentials can just be added together.

[tex]V = U/q = \int_\infty ^R \frac{kQ}{r^2}dr = \frac{kQ}{R} - 0[/tex]

[tex]U = Vq = \frac{kQq}{R}[/tex]

In order to find the total potential energy, take the potential energy of each pair of charges and add them up (be careful with the signs).

The answer, I think, is -4.5e-5 J.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?