Conservation of angular momentum axis

In summary, the conservation of angular momentum is a phenomenon that applies to all systems as long as there is no external torque. The point of conservation does not affect the angular momentum, as it is a property of the system as a whole. Therefore, it is not necessary to select a specific point for conservation.
shivam jain

Homework Statement

about
what point and about what kind of axis can we conserve angular momentum?can we conserve it about a point moving in circular motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

its just a understanding based question to apply to problems

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of angular momentum is a phenomenon and not a quantity which may have point, direction etc.
I don't understand your next question. But I think this may help you-You don't need to conserve the momentum, rather it's in nature that the momentum will always be conserved provided the fact that no external torque is given.

i wanted to say for example there is rod standing with base on ground.u hit it say with some ball or anything it will begin to rotate.on ball+rod system about what point (centre of mass or point on base on ground or any other point) can i conserve angular momentum and apply equations.in which case i would be wrong to conserve it and why?

What is conservation of angular momentum axis?

Conservation of angular momentum axis is a fundamental law of physics that states the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the amount of rotational motion in a system will stay the same unless acted upon by an outside force.

How is angular momentum axis conserved?

Angular momentum axis is conserved through the principle of inertia, which states that an object will remain in its current state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the absence of external torques, the rotational motion of a system will remain unchanged.

What is the relationship between angular momentum axis and rotational speed?

The angular momentum axis of a system is directly proportional to its rotational speed. This means that as the rotational speed increases, so does the angular momentum axis, and vice versa.

What are some real-world examples of conservation of angular momentum axis?

One example of conservation of angular momentum axis is a spinning top. As the top spins, its angular momentum axis remains constant, even as it starts to wobble or tilt. Another example is a figure skater performing a spin. By pulling in their arms, they decrease their moment of inertia and increase their rotational speed, demonstrating conservation of angular momentum axis.

How does conservation of angular momentum axis relate to the law of conservation of energy?

Conservation of angular momentum axis is a specific case of the broader law of conservation of energy. This is because rotational motion is a form of kinetic energy, and the conservation of angular momentum axis ensures that this energy remains constant in a system unless acted upon by an external force.