1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of angular momentum

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

about
    what point and about what kind of axis can we conserve angular momentum?can we conserve it about a point moving in circular motion?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    its just a understanding based question to apply to problems

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2
    Conservation of angular momentum is a phenomenon and not a quantity which may have point, direction etc.
    I don't understand your next question. But I think this may help you-You don't need to conserve the momentum, rather it's in nature that the momentum will always be conserved provided the fact that no external torque is given.

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    i wanted to say for example there is rod standing with base on ground.u hit it say with some ball or anything it will begin to rotate.on ball+rod system about what point (centre of mass or point on base on ground or any other point) can i conserve angular momentum and apply equations.in which case i would be wrong to conserve it and why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook