Conservation of energy, Rolling without slipping.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the value of h, the vertical height above point O, for a bowling ball rolling without slipping up an inclined plane. The conversation includes equations for translational and rotational kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, and constant acceleration. The final solution is found by equating the total kinetic energy to the potential energy and using the constant acceleration equation to find h. It is noted that the potential can be taken as zero at any point, and choosing point O as the zero point leads to the correct solution of h = 0.29m.
quantumlolz

Homework Statement

A bowling ball is rolling without slipping up an inclined plane. As it passes a point O it has a speed of 2.00 m/s up the plane. It reaches a vertical height h above O before momentarily stopping and rolling back down. Determine the value of h. The moment of inertia of a solid sphere of mass M and radius R is [tex]I = \frac{2MR^2}{5}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Translational kinetic energy [tex] \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]
Rotational kinetic energy [tex] \frac {I\omega^2}{2} [/tex]
Rolling without slipping [tex] v = r\omega [/tex]
Gravitational potential energy [tex] U = mgy [/tex]
Constant acceleration formulae maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Equating Total (rotational and translational) kinetic energy and potential energy [tex] \frac{Mv^2}{2} + \frac {I\omega^2}{2} = Mgy [/tex] as all the energy has been converted from kinetic to potential when the ball stops (i.e. at the height we're trying to find)

Inserting the expression for moment of inertia the rotational kinetic energy is [tex] \frac{MR^2\omega^2}{5} [/tex] but for rolling without slipping this is just [tex] \frac{Mv^2}{5} [/tex] so total kinetic energy becomes [tex] T = \frac{Mv^2}{2} + \frac{Mv^2}{5} = \frac {7Mv^2}{10} [/tex]

So [tex] \frac{7Mv^2}{10} = Mgy [/tex] and we can cancel the Ms to get [tex] \frac {7v^2}{10} = gy [/tex]

At some value of y (lets call it d), v = 2.00 m/s so plugging in the numbers [tex] d = \frac{7v^2}{10g} [/tex] = 0.29m

Then I'm not sure what to do next. I was thinking we've got an initial velocity (2 m/s), a final velocity (0 m/s), an acceleration (g), and we want the vertical displacement, h, from O to give a final velocity of 0 m/s so we can then apply constant acceleration equation [tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2gh [/tex], with v = 2, u = 0 and solving this gives [tex] h = \frac{v^2}{2g} [/tex] but this comes to h = 0.20m, the quoted answer is h = 0.29 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the correct result, h=0.29 m, only you did not notice.

You can take the potential equal to zero at any point, here a good choice is at point O.

At point O the ball has vo=2m/s velocity and it rolls upward. You calculated the KE with this velocity, correctly. This KE transforms to potential energy h height above O, where the potential energy with respect to O, is mgh. As you wrote,

[tex]
d = \frac{7v^2}{10g} =0.29 m
[/tex]

But d is the height h which was the question. You got it!

ehild

ehild said:
You got the correct result, h=0.29 m, only you did not notice.

You can take the potential equal to zero at any point, here a good choice is at point O.

At point O the ball has vo=2m/s velocity and it rolls upward. You calculated the KE with this velocity, correctly. This KE transforms to potential energy h height above O, where the potential energy with respect to O, is mgh. As you wrote,

[tex]
d = \frac{7v^2}{10g} =0.29 m
[/tex]

But d is the height h which was the question. You got it!

ehild

Ah cool, I did spot that I got the right number when I was working it out, but wasnt sure why - turns out I'd completely forgotten that I can choose where the potential is zero. Thanks :)

Related to Conservation of energy, Rolling without slipping.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does rolling without slipping conserve energy?

In rolling without slipping, energy is conserved because the kinetic energy of the rolling object is equal to the sum of its translational kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy. This means that the object is not losing or gaining energy, but rather transferring it between different forms.

3. Can an object roll without slipping if there is friction?

Yes, an object can roll without slipping even if there is friction. However, the presence of friction will cause some energy to be converted into heat and sound, which means that the object's total energy will decrease over time.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its ability to roll without slipping?

The shape of an object can affect its ability to roll without slipping because it can change the distribution of mass and affect the object's rotational inertia. Objects with a lower rotational inertia (such as a cylinder) are more likely to roll without slipping compared to objects with a higher rotational inertia (such as a sphere).

5. Can an object roll without slipping on an incline?

Yes, an object can roll without slipping on an incline. However, the object's motion will be affected by the force of gravity and the presence of friction. The object will still conserve energy, but it may experience a change in its translational and rotational speeds.