Coordinate transformation of lagrangian

In summary, the ratio of times along the paths l and l' can be expressed as t'/t=(l'/l)^(1-k/2) by utilizing the coordinate transformations r'=ar and t'=a^(1-k/2)t.
nlake27
Hey all,
According to my physics textbook, if the potential energy of a particle is a homogeneous function of the spatial coordinate r, one can transform r by some factor a and t by some factor b=a^(1-.5k) such that the Lagrangian of the particle is multiplied by a^k. I understand all of this, but I do not understand how one gets from here to the result given: t'/t=(l'/l)^(1-k/2); t'/t being the ratio of the times along the paths l and l'.

My textbook has some problems that require (I assume) similar logic ("Find the ratio of the times in the same path for particles having the same mass but potential energies differing by a constant factor").
The book solution is t'/t=(U/U')^(1/2); I tried solving it by making the "constant factor" a^k so that l=a*l', which eventually gives me an answer that is off by a factor of 1/a. If someone could explain the logic that leads to the derivation of the equation in bold, I'm pretty sure I can find the error in my own calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've got two coordinate transformations [itex]r'=ar[/itex] and [itex] t'=a^{(1-k/2)}t[/itex]. Now suppose we let l and l' be the paths traversed by the particle in times t and t' respectively. Then the first equation yields [itex]a=l'/l[/itex] which can be substituted into the second equation to give [tex]t'=\left(\frac{l'}{l}\right)^{(1-k/2)}t[/tex].

Related to Coordinate transformation of lagrangian

1. What is a coordinate transformation in the context of Lagrangian mechanics?

A coordinate transformation in Lagrangian mechanics refers to changing the coordinate system used to describe a physical system. This is done by replacing the original coordinates (e.g. position and velocity) with new coordinates that are related to the original ones through a set of transformation equations. This allows for a different perspective on the system and can sometimes simplify the equations of motion.

2. Why is coordinate transformation important in Lagrangian mechanics?

Coordinate transformation is important in Lagrangian mechanics because it allows for a more convenient or intuitive representation of a physical system. It can also simplify the equations of motion, making it easier to solve for the system's behavior. Additionally, certain types of coordinate transformations (e.g. canonical transformations) can reveal symmetries and conserved quantities of the system.

3. What are the steps involved in performing a coordinate transformation of Lagrangian?

The steps involved in performing a coordinate transformation of Lagrangian are:
1. Identify the original coordinates and the transformation equations that relate them to the new coordinates.
2. Calculate the new Lagrangian in terms of the new coordinates.
3. Use the Euler-Lagrange equations to obtain the equations of motion in terms of the new coordinates.
4. Solve the equations of motion to determine the behavior of the system.

4. What are some common types of coordinate transformations in Lagrangian mechanics?

Some common types of coordinate transformations in Lagrangian mechanics include:
1. Cartesian to polar coordinates
2. Rectangular to cylindrical or spherical coordinates
3. Generalized coordinates to normal coordinates
4. Canonical transformations
5. Point transformations

5. Can a coordinate transformation change the physical behavior of a system?

No, a coordinate transformation does not change the physical behavior of a system. It simply provides a different perspective or representation of the same physical system. The equations of motion and the underlying physics remain unchanged, only the coordinates used to describe the system are different.