Coplanar equilibrium (mechanics)

In summary, the conversation is about determining what to do in a specific problem involving a free body diagram and forces acting on a roller. The person asking for help is not familiar with moments and is asking for hints. The expert suggests starting with summing the forces in the x and y directions and setting them equal to zero.
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a free body diagram in the picture, you should have an idea of where to start. :smile:

uhmmm, that's the problem..im really not that familiar with moments and stuff.. could you give me a hint? plsssss...

kring_c14 said:
uhmmm, that's the problem..im really not that familiar with moments and stuff.. could you give me a hint? plsssss...

OK, which forces are acting on the roller?

well what I did was this one[tex]\sum Fx= Pcos20-Nsin20-Fsin70=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum Fy=P sin20+Ncos20-Fcos70-120=0[/tex]

then, i don't know what to do...

kring_c14 said:
well what I did was this one[tex]\sum Fx= Pcos20-Nsin20-Fsin70=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum Fy=P sin20+Ncos20-Fcos70-120=0[/tex]

then, i don't know what to do...

If the x-axis is along the incline (which is visible from the FBD), the your equations are not correct.

so how do I make it right?

kring_c14 said:
so how do I make it right?

Well, since we're talking about equilibrium, sum up the forces in the x and y directions, and set them equal to zero.

Related to Coplanar equilibrium (mechanics)

1. What is coplanar equilibrium?

Coplanar equilibrium is a concept in mechanics that refers to the state of an object or system where all the forces acting on it are balanced and the object is at rest or moving with constant velocity in a single plane. This means that the sum of all the forces and torques acting on the object in that plane is equal to zero.

2. How is coplanar equilibrium different from general equilibrium?

Coplanar equilibrium is a special case of general equilibrium, where the forces and torques acting on an object are all in the same plane. In general equilibrium, the forces acting on an object can be in multiple planes and must be balanced in all directions for the object to be at rest or in constant motion.

3. What are the key principles of coplanar equilibrium?

The key principles of coplanar equilibrium are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force, and that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. Additionally, the principle of moments, or the sum of all torques acting on an object is equal to zero, is also a key principle of coplanar equilibrium.

4. How is coplanar equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Coplanar equilibrium is a fundamental concept in mechanics and is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as designing structures and machines, analyzing forces in bridges and buildings, and understanding the motion of objects in various systems. It is also used in fields such as aerospace engineering, automotive engineering, and biomechanics to ensure the stability and balance of objects and systems.

5. What are some common examples of coplanar equilibrium?

Some common examples of coplanar equilibrium include a book resting on a flat surface, a person standing still on level ground, and a seesaw with two people of equal weight on each end. In all of these examples, the forces and torques acting on the objects are balanced in a single plane, resulting in coplanar equilibrium.