Could anyone me with parallel-series circuit equations?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Trout
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Ohm's law, equations for calculating power and adding resistors in series and parallel. The speaker is advised to start by examining the given resistors and using the appropriate formulas to find the resistance for each. The resistors are then combined in series and parallel to find the total resistance. The conversation also touches upon the equations for current and power in series and parallel circuits.
Trout
This is the given
DSCF1190.jpg

I need to find those unknowns but I have no idea where as to even start.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the Ohms's law, equations for calculating power P, and equations for adding resistors in series and parallel.

To start with you need to look at what is given in terms of your resistors.
For R1 you have PD and Power; and R4 you have Current and Power so use the formulas for power to find those resistances.
R1 and R3 are in series; R2 and R4 are also in series
To find the total resistance you will have to find the In Series Resistance first (Rs)and then you'll see that those subtotals will now be in Parallel to find the total Resistance Rt.
If you review PD and Current for Resistors in Series and Parallel it will help you find the It and Vs

Req=((R1+R3)*(R2+R4))/((R1+R3)+(R2+R4)); Req=Rt

Itot=Vs/Req;

Itot=I1+I2; I1-----arm 1 current,I2-----arm 2 current;

I1/I2=(R2+R4)/(R1+R3);

IR1=I1;

Pt=((Itot)^2)*(Req)

1. What is a parallel-series circuit?

A parallel-series circuit is a combination of both parallel and series circuits. This means that some components are connected in parallel (where the current can split into multiple paths) and some are connected in series (where the current can only flow through one path).

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of a parallel-series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a parallel-series circuit, you need to first calculate the total resistance of the parallel components, and then add that to the total resistance of the series components. This can be represented by the equation: Rt = Rp + Rs, where Rt is the total resistance, Rp is the resistance of the parallel components, and Rs is the resistance of the series components.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how does it apply to parallel-series circuits?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of the currents entering a junction or node in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that junction or node. In a parallel-series circuit, this means that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving that junction.

4. How do I calculate the total current in a parallel-series circuit?

To calculate the total current in a parallel-series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) to calculate the current in each individual component, and then use Kirchhoff's Current Law to find the total current at a junction or node.

5. Can you provide an example problem using parallel-series circuit equations?

Sure! Let's say we have a parallel-series circuit with two parallel resistors (R1 = 10 ohms and R2 = 20 ohms) and one series resistor (R3 = 30 ohms). The voltage source is 12 volts. To find the total resistance, we use the equation: Rt = Rp + Rs = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 + R3 = (1/10 + 1/20)^-1 + 30 = 6.66 ohms. To find the total current, we use Ohm's Law: I = V/R = 12/6.66 = 1.8 amps. Finally, using Kirchhoff's Current Law, we can find the current in each branch: I1 = I2 = 1.8 amps. And for the series component, we use Ohm's Law again: I3 = V/R3 = 12/30 = 0.4 amps.