Coulombs Law and electrostatic force

In summary, when a neutral sphere 3 is touched first to sphere 1 and then to sphere 2, the charge on sphere 2 is divided equally between sphere 1 and sphere 3, resulting in a force of 4.45 N on sphere 2. This is because the electrons in the spheres move to equalize the potential, and since the spheres are identical, the charge distribution will be equal. Therefore, the force on sphere 2 is 3/8 of the initial force of 8.9 N, giving a final force of 3.35 N.
mb85
Identical isolated conducting spheres 1 and 2 have equal charges and are separated by a distance that is large compared with their diameters. The magnitude of the electrostatic force acting on sphere 2 due to sphere 1 is F = 8.9 N. Suppose now that a third identical sphere 3, having an insulating handle and initially neutral, is touched first to sphere 1, then to sphere 2, and finally removed. What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force F' that now acts on sphere 2?

so when sphere 3 touches sphere one, the charge is transferred by 1/2. so the force is then 4.45.
when sphere 3 then touches sphere 2 i thought u added the charges? so 4.45N + 8.9N? which is 13.35N?

i think I am missing something...

Physics news on Phys.org
mb85 said:
Identical isolated conducting spheres 1 and 2 have equal charges and are separated by a distance that is large compared with their diameters. The magnitude of the electrostatic force acting on sphere 2 due to sphere 1 is F = 8.9 N. Suppose now that a third identical sphere 3, having an insulating handle and initially neutral, is touched first to sphere 1, then to sphere 2, and finally removed. What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force F' that now acts on sphere 2?

so when sphere 3 touches sphere one, the charge is transferred by 1/2. so the force is then 4.45.
when sphere 3 then touches sphere 2 i thought u added the charges? so 4.45N + 8.9N? which is 13.35N?

i think I am missing something...
The principle here is that the electrons in the spheres when in contact will move until they are all at equal potential. Since the spheres are identical, what does that tell you about the distribution of charge between the two touching spheres?

AM

simple concept i did not realize and i was jumping the gun and not establishing the charge distribution. But the overall charge(q) is 3/8. So then its 3/8 of the initial force. i got the answer. thanks!

i maybe missing something obvious, but i don't see why it is 3/8.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between electric charges and the force they exert on each other. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric charges?

The unit of measurement for electric charges is the coulomb (C). One coulomb is equivalent to the charge carried by approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force between them decreases.

5. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant (k) is a proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law and is used to calculate the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two charges. It is an important value as it helps to quantify the strength of the electrostatic force between charges and allows for the comparison of forces between different systems.