How Do I Solve These Couple Trig Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two trigonometry problems that involve using the same concept. The first problem involves finding the tangent of a sum of two angles, while the second problem involves finding the tangent of a difference of two angles. The conversation also mentions confusion with using a calculator and differentiating between radians and degrees. The solution is provided using the equation Tan(A+B) = \frac{\tan A + \tan B}{1-\tan(A)\tan(B)}.
Jacob87411
A few trig problems that require the same thing or concept. As always I appreciate the help.

1) If Tan A=1/3 and Tan B=1/2 show that Tan(1/3 + 1/2) = 1

(Tan1/2 + Tan1/3) / 1-tan(1/2)tan(1/3)

I am a little confused with this because I can't use a calculator and am confused on what exactly to do here. I don't know Tan1/2 or Tan 1/3..I know it of pie/2 and pie/3 but its not the same?

2) Tan(7Pie/4 - 1/3)

Sort of the same thing, if I figure out what to do with the 1/3 i should be good. The 7Pie/4 = 315 = -1..so is it just Tangent of -4/3?

Thanks again for taking the time

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]Tan(A+B) = \frac{\tan A + \tan B}{1-\tan(A)\tan(B)}[/tex]

You mistook Tan(A) = 1/2 for tan(1/2) = A

Use the above equation for #2 with [itex] A =\frac{7\pi}{4} \ and \ B = (-1/3)[/tex]

Jacob87411 said:
A few trig problems that require the same thing or concept. As always I appreciate the help.

1) If Tan A=1/3 and Tan B=1/2 show that Tan(1/3 + 1/2) = 1

(Tan1/2 + Tan1/3) / 1-tan(1/2)tan(1/3)

I am a little confused with this because I can't use a calculator and am confused on what exactly to do here. I don't know Tan1/2 or Tan 1/3..I know it of pie/2 and pie/3 but its not the same?

2) Tan(7Pie/4 - 1/3)

Sort of the same thing, if I figure out what to do with the 1/3 i should be good. The 7Pie/4 = 315 = -1..so is it just Tangent of -4/3?

Thanks again for taking the time
1. Are you sure it's not [tex]Tan(a+b)[/tex].
2. Combine the fraction
* Edit sorry posted before i saw whozum's

1. What is the purpose of studying Couple Trig Problems?

The purpose of studying Couple Trig Problems is to understand and analyze the forces and moments acting on a system of two or more interconnected objects. This can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

2. How do you solve a Couple Trig Problem?

To solve a Couple Trig Problem, you first need to identify the forces and moments acting on the system. Then, use trigonometric functions and vector addition to calculate the net force and moment. Finally, use equations of motion and equilibrium conditions to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the common types of Couple Trig Problems?

The common types of Couple Trig Problems include calculating the forces and moments acting on a lever, beam, or pulley system, determining the equilibrium of a structure, and analyzing the torque and angular acceleration of a rotating object.

4. What are the key concepts involved in solving Couple Trig Problems?

The key concepts involved in solving Couple Trig Problems include understanding vector addition, using trigonometric functions to calculate forces and moments, applying equations of motion and equilibrium conditions, and using the right-hand rule to determine the direction of moments.

5. What are some real-life applications of Couple Trig Problems?

Couple Trig Problems have many real-life applications, such as designing structures and machines, analyzing the forces and moments in a human body, understanding the motion of planets and satellites, and predicting the behavior of fluids and gases in pipes and channels.