Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cricket World Cup

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anyone following the cricket world cup?

I hope Bangladesh & Ireland win their respective matches today. It would be great fun!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2007 #2
    At last, someone's mentioning World Cups other than football. Oh, and it looks like, St.Patrick is already helping the Irish, and probably the Bangladeshis, too. :biggrin: India - 33 overs and 6 boundaries - amazing, isn't it?

4. Mar 17, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

191 all out :yuck:

I guess the only consolation is that Pak are 120/8 :devil:

5. Mar 17, 2007 #4
    191 is defendable, Im surprised that India could only muster that total, considering the batting tallent.

Scotland almost beat Pakistan a while back, when they play bad they really play bad...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  6. Mar 17, 2007 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It could have been a little worse for India. Before today, Munaf Patel had batted 7 times in ODI's for a total of 6 runs. Today, he scored 15.

Pakistan finished all out for 132. Extras was their top scorer. The most unpredictable team in cricket.

Can India restrict Bangladesh to less than 191? (Currently 24/0.)

Can Pakistan restrict Ireland to less than 132?

7. Mar 17, 2007 #6
    191 all out!!! And I'm watching this match ? I have my maths board exam on 22nd, shame on me.

8. Mar 17, 2007 #7
    Make that 132 all out. I'm rooting for the Irish today. Bray is going to make at least a half-century.

huh? :confused: :biggrin:

1st Bangladesh wicket down.

9. Mar 17, 2007 #8
    You're not going to miss anything, other than maybe Bangladesh winning. Go study for the exam. :approve:

10. Mar 17, 2007 #9
    :yuck:

Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid, Singh.... Are all great, India is IMO a much better batting side than Bowling.

I'm also rooting for Ireland... Since they just lost the 6 nations... poor chaps

11. Mar 17, 2007 #10

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They've reached 82/3. As long as they play sensibly and knock around the singles, I think they have a great chance to win. That 17 year old batsman was great (Iqbal, I think). Knocked the stuffing out of Zaheer.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  12. Mar 18, 2007 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No.

No.

What a day!

13. Mar 18, 2007 #12

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I couldn't catch the Indo-Bangladesh match as I was out at a darker-skies star party in rural Malaysia (well, that was a wash due to cloud cover).

I was told the result by my mom as I was staggering in at 6 am after a 400 km drive without sleep. Highly disappointing result as an Indian, but kudos to Bangladesh for playing really well. I guess the better team won, and that's what matters.

14. Mar 18, 2007 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I, too, try to participate in amateur astronomy, but, here on the coast of the Bay of Fundy, we often can't see the clouds for the fog!

Are the minnows on a roll? Can Canada knock off England today? I highly doubt it. :grumpy:

15. Mar 18, 2007 #14
    Would be nice if they did. :biggrin:

16. Mar 18, 2007 #15
    Canada has a cricket team?

India better do good in this cup. After all, our team is the highest paid team in the world...

17. Mar 18, 2007 #16
    I'm not sure if that's a sarcastic comment, but they did play the first ever WC, back in 1975.

That's the problem!!! Too much money, both from Board of Control for Cash in India and from endorsements. They're too busy modelling for ads. :mad:

18. Mar 18, 2007 #17
    Bob Woolmer, the coach of the Pakistani cricket team, has just passed away.

Once again, we're reminded that cricket is nothing more than a simple game. The world will miss a dedicated man.

19. Mar 18, 2007 #18
    OMG! That's a shocker...never heard that. It's a greater shock than Pakistan's defeat. He was dedicated in making Pakistan a better team.

20. Mar 18, 2007 #19
    Dang it! I hate it when that happens!

Just another sarcastic comment.

Even though I myself am an Indian, I feel sorry for your loss. I don't think the Pakistani team will ever be the same again without Woolmer. The Pakistani team is equally good as the Indian team, and may even have more talent. Too bad we can't combine both teams under "Pak-India" and beat everyone in the World Cup.

21. Mar 19, 2007 #20

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesterday, after returning from a day at the mall with my wife and daughter, I checked cricinfo for the status of Canada-England match. I can't put into words how shocked I was to read about the tragic death of Bob Woolmer.

He tried to do the impossible; a gora (Zaheer Abbas's pejorative word) coach tried to coach the uncoachable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?