1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current and Voltage of Elements of a Circuit with a Solenoid.

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Ended up figuring out how to solve this problem. I just was not expecting certain parts of the results which lead me to believe I did it wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2R_switch_2.jpg

Voltage of battery is 5V
    Resistors are 5 Ohms
    The solenoid has no internal resistance

1.Need to find V_2 before switch is opened
    2.The current through the solenoid right after the switch has been opened.
    3. The current through R_2 and R_1 right after the switch has been opened.
    4. Voltage across R_1 right after the switch has been opened.
    5. Voltage across R_1 if it was 5 Mohms right after the switch has been opened.

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    Kirchhoff's Loop Rule

That a solenoid will want to resist any change in current.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The voltage across R_2 will be 5V because the loop that consists of the switch and resistor has to have a voltage drop of 5 V and the resistor is the only element with a voltage drop on that loop.

2. The current through the solenoid right after the switch is open will be 1 A as the solenoid will want to keep the same current as before.

3. 1 A as the current will be same as the solenoid.

4. The voltage drop across both of the resistors will be 5 V. The solenoid will add additional voltage to create the greater voltage.

5. 5*10^6 V as the current will still be 1 A.

I know I probably have flawed logic in here somewhere though I just do not know exactly how a solenoid will effect this circuit after the switch is thrown.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you interested in these various V's and i's just after the switch is opened, or for all time after the switch is opened?

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    Just after the switch has been opened. Sorry thought I put that in the questions but I must of missed putting that there.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everything is correct. Congrats!

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    Yeah I ended up getting the answers back and I got a happy suprise when I saw that I was correct. I guess thats why they put the question in the post lab, to show how solenoids can do this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted