Current and Voltage of Elements of a Circuit with a Solenoid.

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem involving a solenoid, resistors, and a voltage source. The solution involved using Kirchhoff's Loop Rule and Ohm's Law to find the voltage, current, and resistance values at various points in the circuit after the switch was opened. The results showed that the solenoid will resist any change in current and add additional voltage to the circuit. The individual's attempt at a solution was correct and they were able to successfully solve the problem.
Thadis
Ended up figuring out how to solve this problem. I just was not expecting certain parts of the results which lead me to believe I did it wrong.

Homework Statement

2R_switch_2.jpg

Voltage of battery is 5V
Resistors are 5 Ohms
The solenoid has no internal resistance

1.Need to find V_2 before switch is opened
2.The current through the solenoid right after the switch has been opened.
3. The current through R_2 and R_1 right after the switch has been opened.
4. Voltage across R_1 right after the switch has been opened.
5. Voltage across R_1 if it was 5 Mohms right after the switch has been opened.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchhoff's Loop Rule

That a solenoid will want to resist any change in current.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. The voltage across R_2 will be 5V because the loop that consists of the switch and resistor has to have a voltage drop of 5 V and the resistor is the only element with a voltage drop on that loop.

2. The current through the solenoid right after the switch is open will be 1 A as the solenoid will want to keep the same current as before.

3. 1 A as the current will be same as the solenoid.

4. The voltage drop across both of the resistors will be 5 V. The solenoid will add additional voltage to create the greater voltage.

5. 5*10^6 V as the current will still be 1 A.I know I probably have flawed logic in here somewhere though I just do not know exactly how a solenoid will effect this circuit after the switch is thrown.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested in these various V's and i's just after the switch is opened, or for all time after the switch is opened?

Just after the switch has been opened. Sorry thought I put that in the questions but I must of missed putting that there.

Thadis said:
Just after the switch has been opened. Sorry thought I put that in the questions but I must of missed putting that there.

Everything is correct. Congrats!

Yeah I ended up getting the answers back and I got a happy surprise when I saw that I was correct. I guess that's why they put the question in the post lab, to show how solenoids can do this.

1. What is the difference between current and voltage in a circuit with a solenoid?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, while voltage is the force that drives this flow. In a circuit with a solenoid, current is created by the movement of electrons through the wire, while voltage is created by the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

2. How does a solenoid affect the current and voltage in a circuit?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This magnetic field can either increase or decrease the current in the circuit, depending on its direction. Additionally, the voltage in the circuit may also be affected by the resistance of the solenoid's wire and the strength of its magnetic field.

3. What factors can affect the current and voltage of a circuit with a solenoid?

The current and voltage in a circuit with a solenoid can be affected by various factors, such as the number of turns in the solenoid coil, the material of the wire used, the strength of the magnetic field, and the presence of other components in the circuit.

4. How does the length of a solenoid coil impact the current and voltage in a circuit?

The length of a solenoid coil can affect the current and voltage in a circuit by changing the amount of resistance in the wire. A longer coil will have a higher resistance, which can decrease the current and voltage in the circuit. Additionally, a longer coil may also create a stronger magnetic field, which can further impact the current and voltage.

5. Can the current and voltage in a circuit with a solenoid be controlled?

Yes, the current and voltage in a circuit with a solenoid can be controlled by adjusting various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the wire. By manipulating these factors, the current and voltage can be increased, decreased, or even completely stopped in the circuit.