Is Mu-Metal the Solution for High Permeability Applications?

In summary, wrapping an insulated wire around a box made of mu-metal and having a magnetic material inside, then applying a current through the wire, would produce both B and H fields in the mu-metal box. The mu-metal would draw the magnetic field into itself due to its high permeability, but it would saturate sooner and not be able to handle as high an energy density as ferrous materials. The application of an insulator on top of the mu-metal would not help increase the intensity of the magnetic fields. Mu-metal is useful for shielding applications due to its high mu value, but it is not used in applications where high permeability is required, such as electric motors, due to its saturation characteristics.
And i did read most of those articles (the ones relating to magnetic shielding) but the only thing i found was that mu-metal has a low coercivity so it absorbs electric fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hami Hashmi said:
the only thing i found was that mu-metal has a low coercivity so it absorbs electric fields.
No, that is not correct. mu-metal is not used for electric field shielding, and the value of Hc is not directly related to its magnetic shielding properties and uses.
Hami Hashmi said:
I'm trying to figure out how to block the infinitely strong magnetic and electric field from two electrons that are 0 m apart (since the electric field is dependent on the distance between the two charges and the magnetic field is dependent on the electric field). I know this is not practical but i just want to see if i can do it.
Since this is for a thought experiment, it is especially important that you learn more about magnetic and electric fields at a fundamental level. What is your school background so far? What math and physics classes have you taken? Have you tried using Hyperphysics and the Khan Academy videos to learn more about these subjects? Without a good knowledge of the basic physics involved, it will be very hard for you to think accurately about how to manipulate fields.

Opps sorry i meant to say magnetic fields.

I'm currently doing university physics but i have not reached the section on magnetic and electric fields yet. As for my math background, i have just started calculus.

Hami Hashmi said:
I'm trying to figure out how to block the infinitely strong magnetic and electric field from two electrons that are 0 m apart

This isn't going to work.

First, if they are at zero distance apart, where do you put the mu metal? More realistically, atoms are larger than electrons. There's no place to put them. More realistically still, the magnetic properties of a material are properties of the bulk material, not individual atoms. Mu-metal is not an element, it's an alloy. You need between a million and a billion atoms for the bulk properties to fully manifest themselves.

Here are some files.

Attachments

• Document4.docx
    15 KB · Views: 224
  • Lining.docx
    17 KB · Views: 202
@Vanadium 50

I'm not actually going to put mu-metal, i am just trying to figure out how it works differently from soft iron so that i can make the lining similar.

If you need to use fantastic and non-existent properties of your materials (like their size), why are you restricting the other properties of your non-existent material to be realistic?

Size?

And the material is theoretically possible except for the distance of the electrons and the up quarks from each other.

I just need to figure out how to get the lining to absorb the magnetic field from the magnet.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed.

@Hami Hashmi -- you need to learn more basics of E&M and fields and about magnetic materials before you spend too much time thinking up exotic (non-physical) thought experiments. Work through some of the online courses at the Khan Academy, or take some basic physics and EE classes at your local community college. With a better understanding of the physics behind E&M, you will be thinking of even better (and more physical) thought experiments and questions to ask at the PF.

Have fun leaning more E&M. :smile:

Likes Hami Hashmi