1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Pulse

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    A current pulse exists, in which the current jumps from 0A to 10A, stays at 10A for 200 microseconds, then drops from 10A to 0A. What makes a current pulse different from the current that runs when a switch in a DC circuit is left closed for 200 microseconds...is it the same concept?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2
    A current pulse is a current that runs for a short time. Closing a switch in a DC network for a short time will likely produce a current pulse. Getting a clean pulse with length 200 microseconds with an analog switch is rather hard, and a current pulse of this length is better generated with a digital switches.

4. Apr 23, 2008 #3
    Oh...so lets say that a current pulse for 200 microseconds existed...could we take it that inductance is negligible? The problem I was doing involved a partial branch of a circuit with a .01H inductor parallel to a 100 Ohm resistor. It stated that a current pulse existed, in which it jumped from 0 to 10 Amps, stays for 200 microseconds, then drops to 0A (these values are for the current before the junction). The problem asked me to come up with a function of time for the current through the inductor for that period of 200 microseconds, but to come up with the answer they gave, we have to assume that the current before the junction is unaffected by the inductor (remains 10A for that period)...also, the rate at which the current jumps and drops is almost a straight vertical line...it was as if the phenomenon of inductance was completely neglected; so I was assuming this might be a little different from simply closing a DC circuit for 200 microseconds.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?