Current Relations in a Circuit: Exploring Kirchhoff Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit and its relation to i1, i2, i3 and Ieq. The Kirchhoff Laws are used to find that i1 = i2 + i3 and that i2 and i3 are equal in size. It is also noted that Ieq is the same as i1 because it flows through the resistors.
math4everyone

Homework Statement

I have the following circuit
10fq6hk.jpg

What is the relation between $$I_{eq}~~and~~ i_1, i_2, i_3$$?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

See the image above

Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly found that i1=i2+i3. What can you say about the relative size of i2 and i3?

kuruman said:
You have correctly found that i1=i2+i3. What can you say about the relative size of i2 and i3?
I think they are equal

They are, but do you know the reason why?

kuruman said:
They are, but do you know the reason why?
Yes:
rvdh5w.png

OK great. You have found the relations between i1, i2 and i3. All that remains is how Ieq. fits in the picture. Any ideas?

kuruman said:
OK great. You have found the relations between i1, i2 and i3. All that remains is how Ieq. fits in the picture. Any ideas?
I would say it's the same as i1 because it's the same current that flows through the resistors.

Correct. It looks like you are done.

Related to Current Relations in a Circuit: Exploring Kirchhoff Laws

What is the relationship between electric current and magnetic fields?

The relationship between electric current and magnetic fields is known as electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. Similarly, when a magnetic field is applied to a conductor, it induces an electric current in the conductor.

How do the direction of current and magnetic field affect each other?

The direction of current and magnetic field are perpendicular to each other. This means that the magnetic field lines are always at a 90 degree angle to the direction of current flow. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What are the differences between direct and alternating current?

Direct current (DC) flows in one direction, while alternating current (AC) changes direction periodically. DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices, while AC is used in homes and buildings for powering appliances. AC is also able to be transmitted over long distances, while DC is not.

What is the role of resistance in current flow?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. It is caused by collisions between the electrons and atoms in a material. The higher the resistance, the lower the current flow. Resistance can be controlled by changing the material, length, or cross-sectional area of a conductor.

How do parallel and series circuits affect current flow?

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, allowing multiple paths for current to flow. This results in a higher total current compared to a series circuit, where the components are connected in a single path. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the branches.