Current through an Inductor in an RL circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding i0(t) with the given circuit and using Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to solve for V(phi) and i0. The conversation also mentions source conversions and reducing the circuit to one resistor with the inductor.
maxpound18

Homework Statement

Find i0(t) see attached picture

Homework Equations

io(t) = iinfinite + (i0- - iinfinite)e-Rt/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I first re-drew the diagram for when the switch has NOT been closed, which is esssentially the same thing without the 37.5 V Source and the adjacent 10 ohm resistor.

I then found V(phi) using ohms law since the current through both the resistors should be the same. The current is (i=V/R) which is (250/50= 5 Amps)
So, V(phi) = iR which is (5amps*10ohms = 50 V)

I then applied Kirkchoff's Current Law to the node between the inductor, the dependent source, and the 10 ohm resistor.
0 = -(250/50) + 9V(phi) + i0
0 = -5 + 9V(phi) + i0
0 = -5 + 9(50) + i0
i0 = -445 Amps (This seems wrong) but moving on...then i drew the diagram for when t > 0

Attachments

• IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry i left out a resistor.

THIS is the correct drawing

Attachments

• IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 421
For when t > 0

here are source conversions.

Attachments

• IMAG0236.jpg
    IMAG0236.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 420
and more conversions

Attachments

• IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 408
My question at this point is how do I reduce THIS circuit down to one resistor with the inductor? And what am i supposed to do with the Dependent Current Source.

The values I calculated for V(phi) and i0 are 44.4V and -395.2A respectively.

Attachments

• IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 433

1. What is an inductor in an RL circuit?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire and is often represented by the symbol L. In an RL circuit, the inductor is connected in series with a resistor (R) and a power source (V).

2. How does current flow through an inductor in an RL circuit?

When a voltage is applied to an RL circuit, it causes a current to flow through the inductor. However, due to the property of inductance, the current initially rises slowly and then reaches its maximum value over time. This is because the inductor resists changes in the flow of current, causing it to build up gradually.

3. Why does current in an RL circuit eventually reach a steady state?

As the current in an RL circuit builds up, it creates a magnetic field around the inductor. This magnetic field stores energy, which is then released as the current decreases. This cycle continues until the current reaches a steady state, where the rate of change of current is zero and the magnetic field is fully established.

4. What is the relationship between current and voltage in an RL circuit?

The relationship between current and voltage in an RL circuit is described by Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the total resistance (R) in the circuit. In an RL circuit, the inductor also affects the current by opposing changes in its flow, causing a phase difference between the current and voltage.

5. How does the inductor affect the behavior of an RL circuit?

The inductor in an RL circuit affects the behavior by causing a delay in the rise of current and a phase shift between current and voltage. This is due to the property of inductance, which resists changes in current flow. Inductors also store energy in the form of a magnetic field and can affect the overall impedance of the circuit, depending on their values.