Cylinder in Sphere: Volume Calculation | Max Vol.

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum volume of a right circular cylinder inscribed in a sphere of radius 10cm. The answer book provides a solution by drawing a diagram and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the height of the cylinder. The same concept can be applied to solve a similar problem of finding the maximum volume of a cylinder inscribed in a cone with given dimensions. By using similar triangles, the maximum volume can be found to be 4pi.
skateza

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a right circular cylinder of maximum volume that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius 10cm.

I'm using this problem to help me solve a similar one with a cylinder inside a cone, now what I'm not sure about is, in the answer book they say, Let the radius of the cylener be r cm, 0 < r< 10. Then the height is 2sqrt(100-r^2)
... where did they get this height from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture. "Seen from the side", the sphere is a circle with radius 10. Now draw a "cylinder" (i.e. a rectangle) in the "sphere" (circle). If the radius of the cylinder is r, then the base length of the rectangle is 2r. Let h be the height of the cylinder (rectangle) and draw a diagonal. What is the length of the diagonal? Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to write h as a function of r?

okay with that i still can't figure out my peoblem. Here is the question i am really trying to solve. A right cirular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height 3m, and base radius 3m. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

V = (pie)r^2h, how would i find the height in this casE?

Okay i think i got it, is this right:

Drawing a side diagram with a triangle and a rectangle in the middle i can use similar triangles to show cos(Theta) = h/(3-r) = 1; therefore h = 3-r

Using this i get a maximum value of 4pie

Looks right!

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder in a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder in a sphere is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. Can a cylinder fit perfectly inside a sphere?

Yes, a cylinder can fit perfectly inside a sphere if the height of the cylinder is equal to the diameter of the sphere.

3. How do you find the maximum volume of a cylinder in a sphere?

The maximum volume of a cylinder in a sphere occurs when the height of the cylinder is equal to the diameter of the sphere. This results in a volume of V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere.

4. Can the volume of a cylinder in a sphere be greater than the volume of the sphere?

No, the volume of a cylinder in a sphere can never be greater than the volume of the sphere. The maximum volume of the cylinder will always be equal to the volume of the sphere.

5. How is the volume of a cylinder in a sphere useful in real-life applications?

The volume of a cylinder in a sphere is useful in engineering and architecture for designing structures that maximize space utilization. It can also be used in physics and chemistry for calculating the volume of a gas or liquid inside a spherical container.