1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder in a sphere

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of a right circular cylinder of maximum volume that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius 10cm.

I'm using this problem to help me solve a similar one with a cylinder inside a cone, now what i'm not sure about is, in the answer book they say, Let the radius of the cylener be r cm, 0 < r< 10. Then the height is 2sqrt(100-r^2)
    .... where did they get this height from?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Draw a picture. "Seen from the side", the sphere is a circle with radius 10. Now draw a "cylinder" (i.e. a rectangle) in the "sphere" (circle). If the radius of the cylinder is r, then the base length of the rectangle is 2r. Let h be the height of the cylinder (rectangle) and draw a diagonal. What is the length of the diagonal? Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to write h as a function of r?

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    okay with that i still can't figure out my peoblem. Here is the question i am really trying to solve. A right cirular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height 3m, and base radius 3m. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

V = (pie)r^2h, how would i find the height in this casE?

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Okay i think i got it, is this right:

Drawing a side diagram with a triangle and a rectangle in the middle i can use similar triangles to show cos(Theta) = h/(3-r) = 1; therefore h = 3-r

Using this i get a maximum value of 4pie

6. Nov 21, 2007 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Looks right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?