What is the speed of a cylinder rolling down a hill?

In summary: This is given byI=2mr^2.Since the mass is concentrated on the radius R, the moment of inertia is concentrated there too. Thus, the cylinder will rotate around the radius R at a rate proportional to the moment of inertia.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

A cylinder rolls without slipping down a hill. It is released from height h. What is its speed when it come down? The cylinder mass may be completely concentrated on the radius R, which is the radius of the cylinder.

http://i.imgur.com/Ge3x1nu.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is supposed to be v=√(gh) but my calculations give;

At the top the potential energy is E=mgh and at the end(h=0) all energy has become kinetic energy since no friction/air drag is acting. Thus mgh=(1/2)mv^2 <--->v=√(2gh). Why is this wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
The cylinder is not a point-mass - some of the kinetic energy is required to have it rolling.

mfb said:
The cylinder is not a point-mass - some of the kinetic energy is required to have it rolling.

I am trying but I am not following. The only acting force is the downward gravitational force mg and normal force from the ground. So if energy isn't the same at the top and bottom, where has it gone.

I also don't understand that kinetic energy is required to have it rolling. The kinetic energy at the top is zero and keeps increasing as h decreases(same rate inversely right?).

zeralda21 said:
I am trying but I am not following. The only acting force is the downward gravitational force mg and normal force from the ground. So if energy isn't the same at the top and bottom, where has it gone.

I also don't understand that kinetic energy is required to have it rolling. The kinetic energy at the top is zero and keeps increasing as h decreases(same rate inversely right?).

Garvity and Normal the only acting forces, then what makes the cyllinder roll?
HINT: There is one more force that you are missing, draw the diagram and you will get it!

Consider the moment of inertia of the cylinder

1. What factors affect the speed of a cylinder rolling down a path?

The speed of a cylinder rolling down a path is affected by several factors, including the angle of the path, the surface roughness of the path, and the mass and shape of the cylinder itself. Gravity also plays a significant role in determining the speed of the cylinder as it rolls down the path.

2. Does the shape of the cylinder affect its rolling motion?

Yes, the shape of the cylinder can greatly impact its rolling motion. A cylinder with a larger diameter will have more rotational inertia and therefore may roll slower than a cylinder with a smaller diameter. Additionally, a cylinder with a larger radius will experience less friction and may roll faster than a cylinder with a smaller radius.

3. How does the surface roughness of the path affect the rolling of a cylinder?

The surface roughness of the path can greatly impact the rolling of a cylinder. A rougher surface will create more friction and resistance, causing the cylinder to roll slower. A smoother surface will have less friction and allow the cylinder to roll faster.

4. Can a cylinder roll uphill?

Yes, a cylinder can roll uphill as long as the angle of the slope is not too steep and the cylinder has enough momentum. The force of gravity will still be acting on the cylinder, but if the slope is gentle enough, the cylinder will be able to overcome it and continue rolling.

5. How does the angle of the path affect the motion of a rolling cylinder?

The angle of the path has a significant impact on the motion of a rolling cylinder. A steeper angle will result in a faster rolling speed, while a shallower angle will result in a slower rolling speed. This is because the steeper the angle, the more gravitational potential energy the cylinder will have, which will be converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the path.