Explore Properties of Semiconductors for CdS: Band Gap, Effective Mass & More

In summary, a standard reference for semiconductor material properties is the Landolt-Börnstein database. CdS is a very common II-VI material and the L-B has lots of infos on it.
Septim
Greetings everyone,

I need a good source that lists various properties of semiconductors such as band gap energy, effective mass of holes and electrons. Do you have a recommendation I looked at ISSP by Kittel and various other books but except band gap energy I could not find much information. I need this type of information especially for CdS.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard reference to look up material properties is the Landolt-Börnstein database. CdS is a very common II-VI material. The L-B has lots of infos on it: crystal structure, phonon dispersion, hole mobility, effective masses, g-factors and pretty much everything else.

I am not sure whether you have access to the online version, though. However, pretty much any good university library has at least one presence copy.

The russian Ioffe institute also has some data about some common semiconductors online:http://www.ioffe.rssi.ru/SVA/NSM/nk/index.html
However, this overview is not that detailed and I think CdS is not covered. CdSe and ZnS are, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I checked but unfortunately our library does not have a copy of this book, there should be other books in my opinion. Do you have any other suggestions?

Hmm, as you are interested in semiconductors: "Handbook Series on Semiconductor Parameters" vol. 1,2 edited by M. Levinstein, S. Rumyantsev and M. Shur, World Scientific, London, 1996, 1999.

If that is also not available, your librarian might know better what the next closest thing available might be.

Thanks again. The first two volumes of that handbook is available in our library will it suffice ? I ask it due to my unfamiliarity with semiconductor terms.

To be honest, I am not sure. I am afraid these focus on III-V materials, but you may try.

The final book that comes to my mind is "Semiconductor Materials" by Lev I. Berger. It should have a section on CdS - at least in the wurtzite structure. I am not sure whether it covers all possible versions of CdS.

I am grateful for your help, I hope I will be able to find it tomorrow.

Oh, one final thing I forgot. There is a book called 'Semiconductors: Basic Data' by Madelung. It is just a compilation of the most relevant materials and properties taken from the Landolt-Börnstein, but if you just need band gaps and electron/hole masses, it might be sufficient.

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a type of material that has properties between those of a conductor (such as copper) and an insulator (such as rubber). It can conduct electricity under certain conditions, but not as easily as a conductor. This makes it useful for a variety of electronic applications.

2. What is the band gap of CdS?

The band gap of CdS, or the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band, is approximately 2.4 electron volts (eV). This means that electrons in the valence band need at least 2.4 eV of energy to move to the conduction band and conduct electricity.

3. How is the band gap of CdS determined?

The band gap of CdS can be determined through various methods, including optical absorption spectroscopy, photoluminescence, and electrical conductivity measurements. These techniques involve measuring the energy required to excite electrons from the valence band to the conduction band, and using this information to calculate the band gap.

4. What is the effective mass of CdS?

The effective mass of CdS is a measure of how easily electrons can move through the material. It is typically represented by the letter "m*" and is measured in units of the electron's mass. The effective mass of CdS varies depending on the direction in which the electron is moving, but it is generally around 0.2 times the mass of an electron.

5. How do the properties of CdS make it useful in technology?

The properties of CdS, such as its band gap and effective mass, make it useful in a variety of electronic applications. It is commonly used in solar cells, as its band gap allows it to efficiently absorb sunlight and generate electricity. It is also used in light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and semiconductors for electronic devices such as transistors and sensors.