Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Data on Semiconductors

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    Greetings everyone,

I need a good source that lists various properties of semiconductors such as band gap energy, effective mass of holes and electrons. Do you have a recommendation I looked at ISSP by Kittel and various other books but except band gap energy I could not find much information. I need this type of information especially for CdS.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

The standard reference to look up material properties is the Landolt-Börnstein database. CdS is a very common II-VI material. The L-B has lots of infos on it: crystal structure, phonon dispersion, hole mobility, effective masses, g-factors and pretty much everything else.

I am not sure whether you have access to the online version, though. However, pretty much any good university library has at least one presence copy.

The russian Ioffe institute also has some data about some common semiconductors online:http://www.ioffe.rssi.ru/SVA/NSM/nk/index.html
    However, this overview is not that detailed and I think CdS is not covered. CdSe and ZnS are, though.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. May 7, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I checked but unfortunately our library does not have a copy of this book, there should be other books in my opinion. Do you have any other suggestions?

5. May 7, 2013 #4

Cthugha

Science Advisor

Hmm, as you are interested in semiconductors: "Handbook Series on Semiconductor Parameters" vol. 1,2 edited by M. Levinstein, S. Rumyantsev and M. Shur, World Scientific, London, 1996, 1999.

If that is also not available, your librarian might know better what the next closest thing available might be.

6. May 7, 2013 #5
    Thanks again. The first two volumes of that handbook is available in our library will it suffice ? I ask it due to my unfamiliarity with semiconductor terms.

7. May 7, 2013 #6

Cthugha

Science Advisor

To be honest, I am not sure. I am afraid these focus on III-V materials, but you may try.

The final book that comes to my mind is "Semiconductor Materials" by Lev I. Berger. It should have a section on CdS - at least in the wurtzite structure. I am not sure whether it covers all possible versions of CdS.

8. May 7, 2013 #7
    I am grateful for your help, I hope I will be able to find it tomorrow.

9. May 7, 2013 #8

Cthugha

Science Advisor

Oh, one final thing I forgot. There is a book called 'Semiconductors: Basic Data' by Madelung. It is just a compilation of the most relevant materials and properties taken from the Landolt-Börnstein, but if you just need band gaps and electron/hole masses, it might be sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook