DC RC-Circuit Question: Find i(t), v1(t), and v2(t) and prove v1(∞)=v2(∞)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter DarkStalker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc Rc-circuit
In summary, the given circuit has two capacitors with initial voltages V1 and V2. When the switch is closed at t=0, the circuit is solved for i(t), v1(t), and v2(t). Then, it is shown that v1(∞)=v2(∞) based on the results for v1(t) and v2(t). The orientation of the capacitors does not affect the circuit operation, but it is important to consider for certain types of capacitors, such as electrolytic capacitors.
DarkStalker
1. In the network given (Fig.1), the initial voltage on C1 is V1 and on C2 is V2 such that v1(0)=V1 and v2(0)=V2. At t=0 the switch K is closed.
(a) Find i(t) fo all time.
(b) Find v1(t) for t>0.
(c) Find v2(t) for t>0.
(d) From your results on (b) and (c), show that v1(∞)=v2(∞).

Homework Equations

V=iR.
V=i/C∫i.dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost on this one. I don't fully understand how to construct the equation for part (a). Is it:
i/C1∫i.dt-i/C2∫i.dt+iR=0
Or
i/C1∫i.dt+i/C2∫i.dt+iR=0

I'm having trouble understanding which one is the voltage drop and which one is the rise. Also, shouldn't the orientation of the capacitors also matter? For example, if we flip the capacitor C2 as shown in Fig. 2, how would the equations change?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
DarkStalker said:
1. In the network given (Fig.1), the initial voltage on C1 is V1 and on C2 is V2 such that v1(0)=V1 and v2(0)=V2. At t=0 the switch K is closed.
(a) Find i(t) fo all time.
(b) Find v1(t) for t>0.
(c) Find v2(t) for t>0.
(d) From your results on (b) and (c), show that v1(∞)=v2(∞).

Homework Equations

V=iR.
V=i/C∫i.dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost on this one. I don't fully understand how to construct the equation for part (a). Is it:
i/C1∫i.dt-i/C2∫i.dt+iR=0
Or
i/C1∫i.dt+i/C2∫i.dt+iR=0

I'm having trouble understanding which one is the voltage drop and which one is the rise. Also, shouldn't the orientation of the capacitors also matter? For example, if we flip the capacitor C2 as shown in Fig. 2, how would the equations change?

Start by assigning variable names to the various potentials, with assumed orientation (polarity). So VC1, VR, VC2. Also choose an assumed direction for i in the loop (which you've done). Then you can write KVL in terms of those variables.

Now take each of those variables and expand them according to the given information. So, for example, for C1:
$$V_{C1} = V1 - \frac{1}{C1}\int_{I_o}^{I} i\;dt $$
Do the same for R and C2. Solve the equation.

The orientation of the capacitor symbol does not affect the circuit operation in any way. In general capacitance as a property is non-directional.

This is not to say that there aren't certain types of capacitors whose physical/chemical makeup require that voltage be oriented in a certain way on them (e.g. so-called electrolytic capacitors). Incorrect polarity will cause a chemical reaction that will degrade and eventually ruin them. So long as the voltage across these capacitors has the correct polarity, they provide the same capacitance no matter which direction the current flows (i.e. charging or discharging).

Related to DC RC-Circuit Question: Find i(t), v1(t), and v2(t) and prove v1(∞)=v2(∞)

1. What is a DC RC-circuit?

A DC RC-circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is called a DC circuit because the voltage source is a direct current (DC) source, meaning that it has a constant voltage over time.

2. How do you find i(t) in a DC RC-circuit?

To find i(t) in a DC RC-circuit, you can use the formula i(t) = (V/R)e^(-t/RC), where V is the voltage of the source, R is the resistance of the resistor, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between v1(t) and v2(t) in a DC RC-circuit?

In a DC RC-circuit, v1(t) refers to the voltage across the resistor, while v2(t) refers to the voltage across the capacitor. These two voltages are equal in magnitude but have opposite polarities.

4. How do you prove v1(∞)=v2(∞) in a DC RC-circuit?

In a DC RC-circuit, v1(∞)=v2(∞) can be proven by using the properties of capacitors. At steady state, the capacitor acts as an open circuit, meaning that no current flows through it. This results in the voltage across the capacitor being equal to the voltage of the source, which is also the voltage across the resistor, proving that v1(∞)=v2(∞).

5. What is the significance of v1(∞)=v2(∞) in a DC RC-circuit?

The equation v1(∞)=v2(∞) in a DC RC-circuit shows that at steady state, the voltage across the resistor and the voltage across the capacitor are equal and opposite. This means that the capacitor has fully charged, and the circuit has reached a stable state. This is important in understanding the behavior of DC RC-circuits and their applications in various electronic devices.