Definite Integral with tricky deniminator

In summary, a definite integral with a tricky denominator is a type of mathematical problem that involves evaluating the integral of a function with a complex or non-standard denominator. It can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts. Some common examples of tricky denominators include expressions with radicals, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. To practice solving these integrals, one can work through practice problems and exercises. Helpful tips include simplifying the expression before integration and having a strong understanding of integration techniques and regular practice.
kf00zy

Homework Statement

I attached problem as a picture.

Homework Equations

I know that the integral of 1/x equals lnx if the derivative of the denominator is equal to the numerator.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to foil out the denominator and integrate by parts but it was very difficult. Is there an easier way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 11.04.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 11.04.19 AM.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a much easier way. Try a substitution.

Haha, forgot about substituting.. clearly my calculus is rusty. Thanks!

1. What is a definite integral with a tricky denominator?

A definite integral with a tricky denominator is a type of mathematical problem that involves evaluating the integral of a function with a complex or non-standard denominator. This can often be challenging to solve, as it requires a thorough understanding of integration techniques and clever problem-solving skills.

2. How is a definite integral with a tricky denominator solved?

A definite integral with a tricky denominator can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate method to solve it effectively.

3. What are some common examples of tricky denominators in definite integrals?

Some common examples of tricky denominators in definite integrals include expressions with radicals, trigonometric functions, and logarithmic functions. These can often be simplified using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities to make the integration process easier.

4. How can I practice solving definite integrals with tricky denominators?

The best way to practice solving definite integrals with tricky denominators is by working through practice problems and exercises. You can find many resources online, such as textbooks, videos, and online courses, that offer a variety of problems to help improve your skills.

5. Are there any tips for solving definite integrals with tricky denominators?

One helpful tip for solving definite integrals with tricky denominators is to always start by simplifying the expression as much as possible. This can often make the integration process easier and lead to a more straightforward solution. Additionally, it is important to have a good understanding of integration techniques and regularly practice to improve your problem-solving skills.