Should I delete my own post or correct it?

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that it is still possible to delete one's own posts, within a certain time period after posting. However, this option may be hidden or unavailable for regular members, and only Gold members may have this privilege for a limited timeframe.
DrClaude
Mentor
In the previous platform, it was possible to delete one's own posts, within a certain time period after posting. Is this still possible? I haven't been able to find how to do it now.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't see a "delete" option at the bottom left? How long hs it been since you made the post?

It is still possible in general, I don't know how exactly the restrictions are.

Evo said:
You don't see a "delete" option at the bottom left? How long hs it been since you made the post?
No, I didn't see any delete option, only edit. And this was just a few minutes after posting, when I realized that I had misread the OP and that my reply was way off.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You should be able to now. This is a special SA permission.

You should make it gold also... And remove the restriction of profile posts.

It should be for regular members as well, but maybe for only 5-10 minutes after they've posted it.

Suggesting delete privilege for Gold members (per @DataGG) and for a limited timeframe (per @Rocket50).

What is the best thing to do when I realize that I misunderstood a question? I don't like to clutter up the thread with my bad post. Should I try to delete it? Edit and put a disclaimer at the top and leave the original post? Edit it, put a disclaimer and delete the original text? Or just report it?

FactChecker said:
What is the best thing to do when I realize that I misunderstood a question? I don't like to clutter up the thread with my bad post. Should I try to delete it? Edit and put a disclaimer at the top and leave the original post? Edit it, put a disclaimer and delete the original text? Or just report it?
You can report your own post and if it doesn't have any responses, we may delete it for you.

But even for me (I have the power...), if I realize an error later, I usually quote and correct my post.

Likes FactChecker

What is the purpose of deleting one's own posts?

The purpose of deleting one's own posts is to remove them from public view and prevent them from being accessed or referenced by others. This may be done for various reasons such as correcting errors, removing sensitive information, or maintaining privacy.

Can you recover a deleted post?

In most cases, once a post has been deleted, it cannot be recovered. It is permanently removed from the system and cannot be accessed again. However, some websites may have a feature to restore recently deleted posts, so it's always worth checking if this option is available.

Is it possible to delete multiple posts at once?

This depends on the platform or website that you are using. Some websites may allow for bulk deletion of posts, while others may require each post to be deleted individually. It's always best to check the specific guidelines or FAQ section of the website for more information on how to delete multiple posts.

What happens to comments or interactions on a deleted post?

When a post is deleted, any comments or interactions on that post may also be deleted. This means that any likes, shares, or comments made by others on the post will also be removed. However, if the post has been shared by others, it may still be visible on their profiles even after the original post has been deleted.

Are there any consequences for deleting posts?

In most cases, there are no consequences for deleting your own posts. However, if the post has been reported for violating community guidelines or terms of service, there may be consequences such as account suspension or removal. It's important to follow the rules and guidelines set by the platform to avoid any potential consequences.