Derivation of Simple Harmonic Motion for a Spherical Bowl

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to model a particle in a smooth hemispherical bowl as a simple pendulum, given its maximum displacement is small. The first approach involves using a free body diagram and Newton's 2nd law, along with the small angle approximation, to obtain the usual second-order differential equation for angular displacement. The second approach involves using the centripetal force requirement and setting the normal force equal to the usual centripetal force equation. This also leads to the familiar form of the second-order differential equation. The speaker believes that both approaches are valid and equivalent, with the only difference being the centripetal force being the normal force instead of tension. References to resources for the simple pendulum equation and simple
merryjman
Problem: Prove that it is valid to model a particle in a smooth hemispherical bowl as a simple pendulum, provided its maximum displacement is small.

Answer: Usually, a FBD is used along with Newton's 2nd, and then the small angle approximation is used twice (once for siintheta in the weight component and once for tantheta to convert linear to rotational). Eventually you get the usual second-order Diffyq for angular displacement.

Question: Some of my students instead used the centripetal force requirement, setting the normal force (which is equal to the perp. component of the particle's weight) equal to the usual centripetal force equation. Using small angles, the costheta term in the normal force becomes 1, and the problem reduces to the familiar form.

Do you all feel that this is also a valid way to solve the problem? It seems OK to me; it involves Newton's 2nd, as well as the small angle approx., and I can't find anything wrong with it. But I thought I'd see what you all thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this question is nearly the same as: Derive the "simple pendulum equation" from Newton's 2nd law. The only difference between the bowl and pendulum is the centripetal force is the normal force instead of the tension.

So to me, if the unusual approach you mention is acceptable for the question I state above, I would consider it acceptable for your question as well =)

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal or oscillatory motion.

How does a spherical bowl exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

A spherical bowl can exhibit SHM when a small object is placed at the bottom of the bowl and then given a slight displacement. The force of gravity acting on the object will act as the restoring force, pulling the object back towards the center of the bowl.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion in a spherical bowl?

The equation for SHM in a spherical bowl is given by x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How is the period of Simple Harmonic Motion in a spherical bowl calculated?

The period of SHM in a spherical bowl can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/gR), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the bowl.

What factors can affect the Simple Harmonic Motion in a spherical bowl?

The amplitude, mass of the object, radius of the bowl, and gravitational acceleration can all affect the SHM in a spherical bowl. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in dampening the motion.