Describing a Solid Ice Cream Cone with Spherical Coordinates

In summary: We had trouble solving it or even know if what we where solving was even right.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the coordinates of a solid that lies above a cone and below a sphere. The solution is to use spherical coordinates and find the intersection point of the two surfaces. The conversation also mentions difficulties in solving the problem and the importance of including all parts of the homework template when posting a question.
WhiteWalker
Q: Consider the solid that lies above the cone z=√(3x^2+3y^2) and below the sphere X^2+y^2+Z^2=36. It looks somewhat like an ice cream cone. Use spherical coordinates to write inequalities that describe this solid.

What I tried to do:
I started by graphing this on a 3D graph at http://web.monroecc.edu/manila/webfiles/calcNSF/JavaCode/CalcPlot3D.htm now since this is a solid I thought that all I need to do was find the coordinates where the graphs intersect. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
WhiteWalker said:
Q: Consider the solid that lies above the cone z=√(3x^2+3y^2) and below the sphere X^2+y^2+Z^2=36. It looks somewhat like an ice cream cone. Use spherical coordinates to write inequalities that describe this solid.

What I tried to do:
I started by graphing this on a 3D graph at http://web.monroecc.edu/manila/webfiles/calcNSF/JavaCode/CalcPlot3D.htm now since this is a solid I thought that all I need to do was find the coordinates where the graphs intersect. Am I on the right track?
Yes, but that's not much of a start. Pretty obviously the surfaces will intersect in a circle in some horizontal plane.

BTW, when you post a problem, don't delete the three parts of the homework template. They are required, and are there for a reason.

Thanks for correcting me. :)

The reason why I have this posted is because people I was working with had different ideas of what we where solving or how to solve it.

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin (r), an angle from the positive z-axis (θ), and an angle from the positive x-axis (φ).

2. How do spherical coordinates apply to describing a solid ice cream cone?

Spherical coordinates are useful in describing three-dimensional objects, such as a solid ice cream cone, because they allow us to pinpoint specific points on the surface of the cone by using angles and distances.

3. How are spherical coordinates used to describe the shape of a solid ice cream cone?

In describing a solid ice cream cone, the distance from the origin (r) would represent the height of the cone, the angle from the positive z-axis (θ) would represent the angle of the cone's sides, and the angle from the positive x-axis (φ) would represent the angle of the cone's base.

4. Why are spherical coordinates useful in describing a solid ice cream cone?

Spherical coordinates provide a more intuitive and precise way of describing the shape of a solid ice cream cone compared to traditional Cartesian coordinates. They also allow us to easily calculate properties such as volume and surface area of the cone.

5. Are spherical coordinates the only way to describe a solid ice cream cone?

No, there are other coordinate systems that can be used to describe three-dimensional objects, such as cylindrical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates. However, spherical coordinates are often preferred for their simplicity and ease of use in describing curved objects like an ice cream cone.