Describing the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end

In summary, a ball hitting a uniform rod on a table will cause the rod to move backwards and rotate due to the transfer of linear and angular momentum. In a frictionless environment, the torque and moment of inertia can be used to determine the ratio between the rod's linear and angular velocities. The center of the circular motion will be at the rod's center of mass, and the radius can be calculated using the moment of inertia.
schaafde
I have a uniform rod laying on a table. A ball comes in and hits the rod making it move backwards but also rotating. Assuming that we are in a frictionless environment, how do describe the circle made by the rod?

Physics news on Phys.org
Circle made by rod?

The ball will transfer linear and angular momentum to the rod. While we don't know the exact time-profile of the impact force, we know that torque = force * arm at any given moment. Arm, in this case, is the distance from rod's center of mass to the point of impact. That means that after collision rod's angular momentum = arm * linear momentum. Using moment of inertia for rod you should easily be able to find the ratio between rod's linear and angular velocities from that.

yes if the ball hit the bat and the bat rotated around in a circular motion. How would i describe that circle?

A circle only has one parameter - radius. You're not making a whole lot of sense.

I understand that but the radius should be longer than the length of the bat because the bat is not pinned at one end. Therefore the center of the circle isn't at the end of the bat. I guess I am asking where is the center of the circle and how would I calculate that new radius.

Center of the circle is at the center of mass. The center of mass of a body, when no external force is applied, can only move in a straight line. Everything else rotates around the center of mass.

1. What is the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end?

The circle of a uniform rod hit at one end refers to the circular shape that is created when a rod is struck at one end, causing it to bend and form a curved shape.

2. How is the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end described?

The circle of a uniform rod hit at one end can be described using various parameters such as the radius, circumference, and center point of the circle. The curvature and direction of the circle can also be described.

3. What factors affect the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end?

The circle of a uniform rod hit at one end is affected by the material and dimensions of the rod, as well as the force and angle at which it is struck. Friction and air resistance can also impact the shape of the circle.

4. How is the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end measured?

The circle of a uniform rod hit at one end can be measured using tools such as a protractor or ruler to determine the angle and radius of the circle. Advanced techniques such as laser scanning can also be used to accurately measure the circle.

5. What are some practical applications of studying the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end?

Studying the circle of a uniform rod hit at one end can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics. It can help in understanding the properties of materials and their response to forces, as well as in designing and testing structures such as bridges and buildings.