Design a Multirange Voltmeter with Variable Series Resistances

In summary, the problem is to design a multirange voltmeter that can measure full-scale deflection for 20.0V, 50.0V, and 100V. The meter movement is a galvanometer with a resistance of 60.0 ohms and requires a current of 1.00 mA for full-scale deflection. The solution involves using a series resistor for each voltage and switches to select the appropriate resistor for the desired scale. The series resistances needed are 19940 ohms for 20.0V, 49940 ohms for 50.0V, and 99940 ohms for 100V.
hsiao

Homework Statement

"Design a multirange voltmeter capable of full-scale deflection for 20.0V, 50.0V, and 100 V. Assume that the meter movement is a galvanometer that has a resistance of 60.0 ohms and gives a full-scale deflection for a current of 1.00 mA"

Homework Equations

V = IR
Kirchoff's Law's

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the current through the galvanometer must be 1.00mA, meaning i'll need a large resistor in series with the galvanometer. I would be able to solve this no problem if only one voltage was needed, it is the variable voltages that throw me. So far, I believe i have a voltmeter (galv + large resistor) in parallel with a small resistor (so that most of the current flows through the small). I've attempted kirchhoffs and equating v/r for each voltage, but there are too many variables for me to solve. Help? Thanks in advance

Example of a similar, simpler problem:
"A galvanometer requires a current of 1.5mA for full-scale deflection and has a resistance of 75 ohm, may be used to measure currents of much larger values. Calculate the value of the shunt resistor that enables the meter to be used to measure a current of 1 A and full-scale deflection"
Solution:
V = IR = (75)(1.5x10^-3) = (1-1.5x10^-3)R
R = .113 ohms

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about the parallel resistor, that is for current measurements and is not needed for voltage measurements.

Try doing things 1 voltage at a time. For 20.0V, what does the series resistor need to be?

Ok, so in order to have full-scale deflection w/ 20.0 V:

V = IR
20/(1x10^-3) = 20000 ohms (<--total resistance)
20000 - 60 = 19940 ohms for the resistor in series with the 60 ohm galvanometer.

Likewise, for 50 V the resistor would need to be 49940 ohm and for 100 V, 99940 ohm

I'm not sure how to use that information to help me solve the problem, perhaps I am misinterpreting what the question is asking, I was trying to work the problem so that, as a solution, I have a drawing of a circuit with defined values for each component. Can anyone give further guidance?

Last edited:
Well, you have the 60-ohm galvanometer. And you have 3 different series-resistances, but the circuit should use only one of those at any given time, depending on the desired scale.

All that's missing, it would seem, is some means of switching among the different series resistances.

Redbelly98 said:
All that's missing, it would seem, is some means of switching among the different series resistances.

OH! Switches! Thank you Redbelly98, that was just the tip I needed. I definitely overcomplicated this problem.

I will updated this post with the solution presented in class once this is reviewed to compare with. Thanks!

What is a multirange voltmeter and how does it work?

A multirange voltmeter is an electronic device used to measure voltage. It works by converting the voltage signal into a readable display using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The ADC measures the voltage and converts it into a digital value that is then displayed on the voltmeter.

Why is it important to have a multirange voltmeter?

A multirange voltmeter is important because it allows for accurate measurement of a wide range of voltages. Different electrical circuits and components may have varying voltage levels, so having a multirange voltmeter ensures that all of these can be measured accurately without the need for multiple voltmeters.

What are the different ranges of a multirange voltmeter?

The ranges of a multirange voltmeter depend on the specific model, but they typically cover a range of voltages from millivolts to kilovolts. Some multirange voltmeters may also have the capability to measure AC and DC voltages.

How do you design a multirange voltmeter?

To design a multirange voltmeter, you would need to select an appropriate ADC with a sufficient resolution and sampling rate, as well as a microcontroller or other circuitry to process and display the measured voltage. You would also need to consider the input impedance and accuracy requirements for your specific application.

What are the potential errors that can occur when using a multirange voltmeter?

Potential errors when using a multirange voltmeter can include inaccuracies in the ADC, errors in the circuit design, and external factors such as noise or interference. It is important to calibrate and regularly maintain the voltmeter to ensure accurate measurements.