Design of a piezoelectric liquid pump

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a piezoelectric liquid pump using RP printer and PDMS diaphragm. The person is seeking advice on strong and high amplitude piezo materials and using medical check valves to create one-way flow. They also mention considering a piezoelectric cleaner unit for isolations, but note the need for a high voltage circuit to drive it.
miva
Hey guys

im in the process of designing a piezoelectric liquid pump, i am looking to make the structure out of RP printer for now and use a PDMS diagrphram for the piezo device to be mounted apon. Have any of you guys worked with piezo materials before as i am in need of a strong high amplitude varying one.

Also I am thinking of using medical check valves to be able to build a flow in one direction but i think there won't be enough back pressure to keep them tightly sealed.

Any opinions would help very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a piezoelectric cleaner unit to make the isolations to the diaphragm as this piezo devise is very strong but you would have to make a circuit to drive it at high voltage.

Hello! That sounds like an interesting project. I have some experience with piezoelectric materials and their applications in pumps. The use of a PDMS diaphragm is a good choice as it is a flexible and durable material. However, it is important to ensure that the diaphragm is securely mounted onto the piezo device to prevent any leaks or malfunctions.

As for the piezo material itself, I would recommend looking into lead zirconate titanate (PZT) as it is a commonly used and high-performing material for piezoelectric devices. It has a high amplitude and can produce strong vibrations, making it suitable for your pump design.

In terms of the check valves, you are correct in considering the back pressure and potential leakage. One solution could be to use a spring-loaded check valve, which would provide a stronger seal against backflow. Alternatively, you could also consider using a pressure regulator to maintain a constant back pressure.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place for your piezoelectric liquid pump design. I would also recommend consulting with other experts in the field and conducting thorough testing to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of your design. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Design of a piezoelectric liquid pump

1. What is a piezoelectric liquid pump?

A piezoelectric liquid pump is a type of pump that uses the piezoelectric effect to generate movement and transfer liquid. This effect is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when pressure is applied, and vice versa. In a piezoelectric liquid pump, this electric charge is used to create vibrations that push the liquid through the pump.

2. How does a piezoelectric liquid pump work?

A piezoelectric liquid pump works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy through the piezoelectric effect. When an electrical current is applied to the piezoelectric material, it expands and contracts, creating vibrations. These vibrations are then used to push the liquid through the pump, allowing for precise control and movement of the liquid.

3. What are the advantages of using a piezoelectric liquid pump?

Some of the advantages of using a piezoelectric liquid pump include its small size, high precision, and low power consumption. The pump is also able to operate without any moving parts, making it more reliable and durable compared to traditional pumps. Additionally, piezoelectric liquid pumps are resistant to corrosion and can handle a wide range of liquids, making them suitable for various applications.

4. What are some common applications of piezoelectric liquid pumps?

Piezoelectric liquid pumps have a wide range of applications, including medical devices, such as drug delivery systems and microfluidic devices, as well as in lab equipment, inkjet printers, and cooling systems. They can also be used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and consumer electronics for precise movement and control of liquids.

5. How important is the design of a piezoelectric liquid pump?

The design of a piezoelectric liquid pump is crucial as it directly affects the performance and efficiency of the pump. Factors such as the material used for the piezoelectric element, the shape and size of the pump, and the type of liquid being pumped all play a significant role in the overall design. A well-designed piezoelectric liquid pump can ensure optimal performance and longevity of the pump.