Designing a UAV: Airfoil Selection Criteria

In summary, The speaker is a mechanical engineer working on a UAV design similar to Burt Rutan's Long-EZ or Velocity. They are using XFLR 5 and Profili for initial analysis and are seeking advice on airfoil selection based on the UAV's mission and weight. They also mention Klaus Savier's successful use of Rutan's Vari-EZ for high fuel efficiency. They express preference for the Berkut design and mention its potential in the market, despite the issues with the Lancair and Glassair designs.
kevjcarvalho
hi,
i am a mechanical engineer currently working on the design of a UAV. Our rough sketch kind of resembles Burt Rutan's Long-EZ or Velocity. I am attaching a couple of sketches of the aircraft which my team and i have constructed using XFLR 5. We will also be using XFLR 5 and Profili for initial analysis. What kind of criteria would you suggest for airfoil selection? For example high or low Cm, what range perhaps, what Cl/Cd range. Thanks

Attachments

• SAD2010-2011_design1.0.png
    SAD2010-2011_design1.0.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 680
  • SAD2010-2011_design1.0_panelling.png
    SAD2010-2011_design1.0_panelling.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 649
Physics news on Phys.org
"The best place for a canard is on someone else's airplane" :wink:

kevjcarvalho said:
hi,
What kind of criteria would you suggest for airfoil selection? For example high or low Cm, what range perhaps, what Cl/Cd range. Thanks

Hmmm, it kind of depends on what the mission of the UAV will be - e.g. high altitude, slow speed surveillance, fast-n-nimble, how heavy is it going to be, etc. etc.

Cyrus said:
"The best place for a canard is on someone else's airplane" :wink:

Yeah, right...

Hey, talk to http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2008/081230100mpg.html?WT.mc_id=090102epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan"! Klaus Savier has managed to eke out 100 mpg from Rutan's Vari-EZ.

Rutan's design was phenomenal at the time, and it remains exceptional in many ways, particularly when one throttles back and uses a powerplant which is designed for max efficiency at that throttled-back cruise.

Consider:

Cessna 172 (4-seater) cruises at 122 kts with a mean gph burn rate around 8 gph at 122 kts (it's unpublished, as Cessna loves to fudge their figures) of for a milage rate of around 15 nm/gal.

Vari-EZ and Long-EZ (2-seater) cruises at 160 kts with a mean gph 5.1 gph burn rate for a milage of 31.4 nm/gal

There is a reason XCOR Aerospace chose to modify the Long-EZ for their EZ-rocket proof of concept racer. It's one heck of an aircraft!

Back to Canards, they settled on a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_SE" as their entry into the Rocket Racer class.

I'm not sure why, given the nearly double fuel efficiencies of the Vari-EZ and Long-EZ. If it's a matter of velocity (hence the "racer" aspect), why not just go with the Berkut? It's cruise speed is 200 kts, and it does it with greater efficiency than any of the aforementioned aircraft.

To this day, if I ever entered this market, I'd opt for a Berkut!

This design was SO promising the countering lawyers' multiple counter-lawsuits strangled the entire effort by 2003. Only 20 aircraft were completed.

I flew one - AWESOME! But I've also flown a Lancair and a Glassair, also both awesome, and with respect to the avionics, much more nicely done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

I would suggest considering the following criteria for airfoil selection in your UAV design:

1. Aerodynamic performance: The primary objective of an airfoil is to produce lift and minimize drag. Therefore, it is important to select an airfoil with a high lift coefficient (Cl) and a low drag coefficient (Cd). This can be achieved by choosing an airfoil with a well-defined lift curve slope (Cl/alpha) and a low drag polar.

2. Stability and control: The airfoil's pitching moment (Cm) plays a crucial role in the stability and control of the aircraft. It is important to select an airfoil with a stable pitching moment curve to ensure the aircraft's stability in flight.

3. Reynolds number: The Reynolds number of the airfoil, which is a function of airspeed and airfoil chord length, affects its aerodynamic performance. It is important to select an airfoil with a suitable Reynolds number range for the intended flight conditions of the UAV.

4. Stall characteristics: The airfoil's stall behavior should also be considered, as it can greatly affect the aircraft's handling and performance. A gradual and predictable stall behavior is desired for a stable and controllable aircraft.

5. Structural considerations: The airfoil's structural characteristics, such as thickness and camber, should also be taken into account to ensure its compatibility with the overall design and structural requirements of the UAV.

Overall, it is important to choose an airfoil that balances all these criteria to achieve optimal performance and stability for your UAV design. I would also recommend conducting thorough aerodynamic analysis and testing using tools like XFLR 5 and Profili to evaluate and compare different airfoil options before finalizing your selection.

Best of luck with your UAV design project!

Related to Designing a UAV: Airfoil Selection Criteria

1. What is an airfoil and why is it important in designing a UAV?

An airfoil is a specially shaped surface that creates lift when air flows over it. It is important in designing a UAV because it determines the aerodynamic performance of the aircraft, including its stability, maneuverability, and efficiency.

2. What are the key factors to consider when selecting an airfoil for a UAV?

The key factors to consider when selecting an airfoil for a UAV are the desired flight characteristics, operating conditions, and payload requirements. The airfoil's lift and drag coefficients, maximum lift-to-drag ratio, and stall angle are also important considerations.

3. How do I determine the optimal airfoil for my UAV?

The optimal airfoil for a UAV can be determined through aerodynamic analysis and testing. This involves using computational tools, wind tunnel experiments, and flight testing to evaluate the performance of different airfoil designs under various conditions.

4. Can I use the same airfoil for all parts of a UAV?

No, it is not recommended to use the same airfoil for all parts of a UAV. Different sections of the aircraft, such as the wing, tail, and fuselage, may require different airfoil shapes to achieve the desired aerodynamic performance.

5. Are there any specific airfoil shapes that are commonly used in UAV design?

Yes, there are several airfoil shapes that are commonly used in UAV design, such as the NACA series, Selig series, and Eppler series. These airfoils have been extensively tested and are known to provide good performance for a wide range of UAV applications.