Determine a suitable size beam (gantry girder)

• Thread starter hershl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, to determine a suitable size for a gantry girder beam, the maximum bending stress and modulus of elasticity must be taken into consideration. The maximum stress and radius of curvature can then be calculated using the formula σmax = M*ymax/I. To find a suitable beam, the section modulus must be determined and compared to the values in the gantry girder section tables, taking into account the non-symmetrical shape of the beams. The bending stress can then be calculated using σ = M/Z.
hershl

Homework Statement

In cross-section, the beam you are working on is a gantry girder.The maximum bending stress in the girder must not exceed 25MN/m2 and the modulus of elasticity can be assumed to be 210GN/m2.
Determine a suitable size for the beam, selected from the standard sections tables.
Also determine the maximum stress of the chosen beam and its radius of curvature.

Homework Equations

E=σ=M
R y I

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out the max bending moment as 36KN and drawn the SFD and BMD

Using the formula
σmax=M*ymax
I
This is where i get stuck as the notes i have are for universal beams and not gantry girders

I'm not after the answer but if anyone can shine some light on how to go about solving this i'd be much appreciative.

The course is HNC electronic and electrical eng. With a mechanical principles module

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the cross-section? I'm afraid 'gantry girder' is a rather vague description.

Sorry
The table comes from a British standards book. showing universal, structural tees and gantry girders.
There is no cross section stated in the question(i think this is where I'm getting stuck as i have examples using the cross section).

Here is that table as well as my working of the SFD and BMD.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 587
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 590
I would work out the section modulus of the girder required to meet the max. allowable bending stress and then use the tables labeled 'gantry girder' to find a candidate beam.

Is that worked out using the same "max bending moment times 1/2 of depth of beam over 2nd moment of area"
As you would with the universal beam?

The gantry beam sections are not symmetric w.r.t. the neutral axis of the beam. This is clearly shown in the cross section sketches of the attached tables. The section modulus value Z from the beam tables should be the minimum value for a given beam size, and they can be checked by using the appropriate I and y values (Z = I / y). The bending stress is calculated as σ = M / Z, using appropriate units of course.

Likes 1 person

Related to Determine a suitable size beam (gantry girder)

1. How do I determine the appropriate size for a gantry girder?

The size of a gantry girder is determined by several factors, including the weight of the load it will be supporting, the span or distance between supports, and the type of material used. To determine the appropriate size, engineers use structural analysis and design software to calculate the required strength and stiffness of the girder based on these factors.

2. What is the maximum weight a gantry girder can support?

The maximum weight a gantry girder can support depends on the size and material of the girder, as well as the span and load distribution. As a general rule, the larger and stronger the girder, the more weight it can support. However, it is important to consult with a structural engineer to accurately determine the maximum weight a specific gantry girder can support.

3. Can a gantry girder be used for both static and dynamic loads?

Yes, a gantry girder can be designed to support both static and dynamic loads. However, the design and size of the girder may differ based on the type of load it will be supporting. For example, a girder used for a crane system may need to be larger and stronger to support the dynamic loads of moving loads, while a girder used for a conveyor system may only need to support static loads.

4. How does the span affect the size of a gantry girder?

The span, or distance between supports, is an important factor in determining the size of a gantry girder. The longer the span, the larger and stronger the girder needs to be in order to support the load. As the span increases, the girder must also be designed to resist bending and deflection, which requires additional material and structural support.

5. What materials are commonly used for gantry girders?

Gantry girders are typically made from steel, specifically structural steel beams or rolled sections such as I-beams, H-beams, or box girders. In some cases, reinforced concrete or timber may also be used. The choice of material depends on the specific requirements of the project, including the load, span, and cost considerations.