Determine VPS, quiescent value, and resistor value

So there is a bit of backwards logic going on.But once you know Vps you don't need the load line anymore. You have determined the operating point (Q point) and can easily find the voltage across the diode, and the diode current at that point.In summary, the load line is a graphical tool used to solve circuits containing nonlinear elements such as diodes. The operating point of a circuit can be found by determining the intersection of the load line with the characteristic curve of the diode. The slope of the load line is equal to the resistance of the circuit, and any two points on the load line can be used to calculate this resistance. The potential across the diode can be found by subtracting the voltage drop
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

1) What is the VPS voltage source value in Volts

a) 1 b) 2 c)2.5 d)4 e) 5

2) Determine the Resistor value

a)1.75k b) 2 k e) 2.5k d)2.285 k e) 5k

3) What is the ID quiescent value approximately in mA’s?

a) 2 mA b) 1.7 mA c) 1.5 mA d) 1 mA e) 0.6 mA

Homework Equations

V=IR
Id=(Vps/R)-(Vd/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get Id=1.7 mA for part 3. I just found that by using the graph it looked liked 1.7 so that's what I assume is the answer. I think R can be found using the graph and ohms law Vd=5 V and I= 2 mA which gives R=2.5kΩ. What I am wondering is why do I use the farthest values here? Why don't I use the Vd and Id values are where the lines cross? Vps=RId+Vd=2.5(1.7)+.75=5v for part 1 this can be found using KVL because I had already found R, Id, and Vd.

I uploaded the entire quiz and a picture so that you could see the graph

Attachments

• PhysicsforumsElectronicsQuestion1.jpg
    PhysicsforumsElectronicsQuestion1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 505
  • quiz1_fa_solution.doc
    446 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The black line is called a Load Line. It depends only upon the source voltage and its series resistance. It is essentially independent of the load attached. In this case the "load" is the diode, which has its own characteristic curve (blue). Where the two intersect is the operating point of the circuit. It's a graphic way to "solve" for the operating conditions of a circuit containing nonlinear elements (like a diode).

What I am wondering is why do I use the farthest values here?

You don't have to use the furthest values.

Ohms law V=IR looks like the standard equation for a straight line y=mx+c where c=0 and the slope of the line m = R.

So you could calculate the slope of the line using any two points to get R.

This has real life applications because you cannot always measure the short circuit current. Imagine you wanted to measure the internal resistance of a 12V car battery. There is no way you could measure the short circuit current to get a data point at V=0. Trying to short circuit a 12V car battery is dangerous, the current could be 100's of amps and the battery terminals might melt and throw hot lead at you or worse. However you could load up the battery with some known safe currents and measure the corresponding voltage. Then plot the graph, calculate the slope, and get the internal resistance that way.

Ok so then that would make my logic correct by the way thanks to both of you for conceptual info?

R=V/I if I put in .75/1.75=.44 k ohms hmmmm what did I do wrong

Hey on question 4 what equations should I use I can't find an equation the equates Reverse bias voltage and reverse bias current

Ah ha so if the load line depends on the source and series resistance then Vd=Vps right?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
R=V/I if I put in .75/1.75=.44 k ohms hmmmm what did I do wrong

That would give the resistance of the diode at the operating point: the potential across the diode divided by the diode current.

To find R you want the slope of the load line at that operating point. But since the load line is a straight line, you can take the rise/run for the line using any convenient pair of points that lie on it. Its end points are very convenient indeed...

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ah ha so if the load line depends on the source and series resistance then Vd=Vps right?

No, Vd is potential across the diode, which is Vp minus the drop across R. It's a series circuit, so you need to count all the potential drops.

Vps=2.5Id+Vd ?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Vps=2.5Id+Vd ?

Is that "2.5" meant to be the 2.5kΩ resistance of R? If so, the equation looks fine.

Well by the graph I know Id=1.7 then Vps=(2.5)(1.7) + Vd

Yes the R is 2.5

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Well by the graph I know Id=1.7 then Vps=(2.5)(1.7) + Vd

Sure. But I don't understand why you're agonizing over Vps. Didn't you already decide that Vps is 5V from the load line endpoint? It will not change.

Oh so that's all I have to do on a problem like this is just say that 5V is Vps

DODGEVIPER13 said:

Yes, since you can read it directly off the given load line.

DODGEVIPER13 said:

Yes.

In most real life problems you would know Vps and use that to construct the load line.

This problem is slightly different in that they are asking you to work out Vps from a load line someone has already constructed.

1. What is a VPS and why is it important in determining circuit values?

A VPS, or voltage power supply, is the voltage that is supplied to a circuit. It is important in determining circuit values because it is the starting point for calculating other values such as quiescent value and resistor value.

2. How is the quiescent value determined?

The quiescent value is determined by finding the voltage that is present at a specific point in a circuit when no current is flowing through it. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance.

3. What is the significance of the quiescent value in circuit analysis?

The quiescent value is important in circuit analysis because it represents the baseline value for a circuit. It is the value that the circuit returns to when no input is applied, and it is used as a reference point for analyzing circuit behavior under different operating conditions.

4. How do you calculate the resistor value in a circuit?

The resistor value can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance equals voltage divided by current. The voltage and current values can be measured or determined using other circuit values, such as the VPS and quiescent value.

5. Can the VPS, quiescent value, and resistor value change in a circuit?

Yes, these values can change depending on the operating conditions of the circuit. For example, the VPS may fluctuate due to changes in power supply, and the quiescent value may change if the circuit is exposed to different temperatures or environmental factors. The resistor value may also change if different components are added or removed from the circuit.