Determining an electric field in vector form, got the answer, just checking.

In summary, the problem involves finding the flux of a uniform electric field through a given surface. The first part (a) uses a field with only an i component, resulting in a flux of 8 Nm^2/C. The second part (b) has a field with a k component, but since the surface does not have a k component, the flux is 0. This is because the dot product of the two vectors will result in a 0 for the k component. Refreshing on vector math is necessary to understand and solve this problem.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I finally finished the chapter and now I'm going to attempt to do some problems. Well the first problem says: A surface has the are vector A = (2[itex]\hat i + 3\hat j[/itex]m^2. What is the flux of a uniform electric field through it if the field is (a) E = 4[itex]\hat iN/C[/itex] (b) [itex] E = 4\hat k[/itex]. The answer for (a) is 8 Nm^2/C (b) 0. The answer is 8 for the first one because well (4)(2)...the j component isn't used at all because why? Also b is 0 because k isn't in the same vector as i or j, is that right or am i getting lucky?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no j component for a. because the j component of the field you're given is 0. You're taking a dot product to find the flux, ie

[tex]\Phi_{E} = \vec{E} \cdot \vec{A}[/tex]

So, when you evauluate that and you multiply the j components, you get 3 x 0 which is of course 0. That's the same reason that b. is 0, because [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] has no k component and [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] has no i or j components.

ohh! i forgot all about that, i have to refresh on vector math! thanks!

1. What is an electric field in vector form?

An electric field in vector form is a mathematical representation of the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point in space. It is typically denoted by the vector symbol E and is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a positive test charge placed at that point.

2. How is an electric field in vector form determined?

An electric field in vector form can be determined using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the product of the magnitude of the source charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source charge and the point. It can also be determined using Gauss's law or by solving the equations of motion for a charged particle.

3. What units are used to measure an electric field in vector form?

The SI unit for electric field in vector form is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). These units represent the strength of the electric field and the force experienced by a charge placed in the field, respectively.

4. Can an electric field in vector form be negative?

Yes, an electric field in vector form can be negative. This indicates that the field is directed in the opposite direction of the vector arrow. A negative electric field is often associated with a negative source charge, as opposite charges attract each other.

5. What is the significance of determining an electric field in vector form?

Determining an electric field in vector form is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges in space. It allows us to predict the motion of charged particles and the forces they experience, as well as the potential difference between two points. This information is crucial in many areas of science, including electromagnetism, electronics, and particle physics.