1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Electric field of Spherical charge distribution

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    Hey, this is from "Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory" by Reitz, et al. Problem 2-15.

I have had a really hard time trying to learn from this book as there are no examples to apply the equations they prove throughout the chapters. Anyhow, I don't really have anything down for this problem, which is as follows:

A spherical charge distribution has a volume charge density that is a function only of r, the distance from the center of the distribution. In other words, [tex] \rho = \rho (r)[/tex]. If [tex] \rho (r)[/tex] is as given below, determine the electric field as a function of r. Integrate the result to obtain an expression for the electrostatic potential [tex] \phi (r)[/tex], subject to the restriction that [tex] \phi (\infty) = 0[/tex].

(a) [tex] \rho = \frac {A}{r} [/tex] with A a constant for [tex] 0 \leq r \leq R; \rho = 0 [/tex] for [tex] r > R [/tex].

I assume this is a Guass law problem, I just don't understand how to solve the right hand integral, supposing it is indeed: [tex] \int \rho dv [/tex]

Can anyone help me, I am quite stuck.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted