Determining the Poles of a Magnet Using a Hall Probe and Lab Equipment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
waley

Homework Statement


Determine the direction of the dipole moment of a magnet with unknown poles. You are given a Hall probe and can use other devices commonly found in a lab.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I was thinking since the Hall probe uses voltage to determine the strength of the magnetic field at certain places, could I just measure the voltage at these points and compare them? But I wasn't sure how I can use this info to draw a conclusion. Like would the voltage at N be greater than at S?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this too simple? Would devices commonly found in the lab include other bar magnets (with poles marked) or a compass needle. You can magnetize a paper clip and suspend it in a jar to make your own compass needle. If you know which way north is, then you know which end of the needle is North.
 
scottdave said:
Is this too simple? Would devices commonly found in the lab include other bar magnets (with poles marked) or a compass needle. You can magnetize a paper clip and suspend it in a jar to make your own compass needle. If you know which way north is, then you know which end of the needle is North.
I had to paraphrase the question a little, or I'd have to have posted the entire lab. We have to prove this with things we used in the lab: oscillators, toroids, solenoids, circuit pieces, magnets, DC generators, gaussmeters and a couple other things I can't remember. Basically, we can't use any of the "use a compass" or "compare it to another magnet of known polarity" or the paper clip method you mentioned.