Determining Thevenin equivalent resistance

In summary, we discussed the concept of Thevenin equivalent circuits and why I3 is equivalent to the current formed by a short circuit between nodes a and b. We also confirmed the method for computing Thevenin resistance and clarified the relationship between I3 and the short circuit current. The conversation also pointed out the importance of sketching currents in the correct direction when solving circuit problems.
TheCanadian
I am currently learning about Thevenin equivalent circuits and was posed with the question attached to this post. I was wondering why I3 is equivalent to the current formed by a short circuit between nodes a and b. Shouldn't the current between a and b be I1 + I2 + I3 since in a short circuit, all the current would go through that path? Why exactly would it be just I3?

Also, with regards to the same circuit shown in the image, isn't the Thevenin resistance computed by removing all independent voltage sources and then simply finding the resistance? That is:

$$ R_{Th} = [ (10+5)||5 + 10 ]||5 + 10 \Omega = 13.7 \Omega $$

(Where || indicates the resistance is being computed for the two parallel resistors.)

Is there anything wrong in my approach or computation? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 6.33.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 6.33.33 PM.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
When we write loop currents, the currents are exactly that: the current in that loop. I1 and I2 are not associated with the loop containing a and b, so they don't matter. It's the loop with I3 that's been short circuited.

As for your equivalent resistance, go through the circuit and combine one pair at a time, redrawing the circuit each time. Notice that you can't work from right to left--you have to work from left to right. Do you see that none of the resistors are in parallel or series on the right part? Remember: to be in parallel, they must share the same nodes at both terminals.

Likes Hesch
TheCanadian said:
Shouldn't the current between a and b be I1 + I2 + I3 since in a short circuit, all the current would go through that path?
You have sketched 3 current loops in such a way that only I3 passes from a to b. Thus Isc = I3.

You could have sketched the currents so that all of them pass from a to b, but then your equations would be different, giving other results as for I1, I2, I3.

axmls said:
When we write loop currents, the currents are exactly that: the current in that loop. I1 and I2 are not associated with the loop containing a and b, so they don't matter. It's the loop with I3 that's been short circuited.

As for your equivalent resistance, go through the circuit and combine one pair at a time, redrawing the circuit each time. Notice that you can't work from right to left--you have to work from left to right. Do you see that none of the resistors are in parallel or series on the right part? Remember: to be in parallel, they must share the same nodes at both terminals.

Thank you for explaining that about the Thevenin resistance. That part makes sense now.

Hmmm, I am still not quite understanding the short circuit current. Why exactly would the current in loop 3 match the current in the short circuit between a and b? I now see my initial approach was wrong, and that I1 and I2 are not associated with the short circuit current, but how exactly is I3 related to it? Wouldn't there now be a wire without any resistor connecting nodes a and b? In this case of a short circuit, wouldn't this path receive all the current, making I1 = I2 = I3 = 0?

Hesch said:
You have sketched 3 current loops in such a way that only I3 passes from a to b. Thus Isc = I3.

You could have sketched the currents so that all of them pass from a to b, but then your equations would be different, giving other results as for I1, I2, I3.

Isn't I3 only through the 5 ohm resistor near nodes a and b, but not necessarily through nodes a and b?

TheCanadian said:
Isn't I3 only through the 5 ohm resistor near nodes a and b, but not necessarily through nodes a and b?

Normally, yes. I3 is the current that flows through that loop. However, notice that the current now has two choices: go through the 5 Ohm resistor, or take the path with no resistance. You can then essentially replace that branch with the 5 Ohm resistor with the wire alone.

TheCanadian said:
When you short circuit a and b, you short circuit the 5Ω resistor: 5Ω || 0Ω = 0Ω.

So in your attached calculation, you calculate Vab ( with ab open ). Vab,open = I3*5Ω.

Next, you calculate Isc ( with ab short circuited, substituting the 5Ω by 0Ω ).

Rth = Vab,open / Isc = 3.659Ω

Your attached calculation is absolutely correct.

Likes TheCanadian
Hesch said:
When you short circuit a and b, you short circuit the 5Ω resistor: 5Ω || 0Ω = 0Ω.

So in your attached calculcation, you calculate Vab ( with ab open ). Vab,open = I3*5Ω.

Next, you calculate Isc ( with ab short circuited, substituting the 5Ω by 0Ω ).

Rth = Vab,open / Isc = 3.659Ω

Your attached calculation is absolutely correct.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was missing. It's a short circuit of the 5Ω resistor as opposed to the entire circuit! It's so simple yet I was just not seeing it. Thank you!

1. What is Thevenin equivalent resistance?

Thevenin equivalent resistance is a theoretical concept used in circuit analysis. It represents the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit when viewed from two terminals. It simplifies the analysis of complex circuits, making it easier to determine the behavior of the circuit.

2. How is Thevenin equivalent resistance calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance is calculated by removing the load resistor from the circuit and finding the equivalent resistance between the two terminals. This can be done by first finding the open circuit voltage and short circuit current of the circuit, and then dividing the open circuit voltage by the short circuit current.

3. What is the significance of Thevenin equivalent resistance?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance helps in simplifying complex circuits and determining the behavior of the circuit in different situations. It also allows for easier analysis of circuits with multiple sources and simplifies the calculation of power dissipation in a circuit.

4. Can Thevenin equivalent resistance be applied to all circuits?

No, Thevenin equivalent resistance is only applicable to linear circuits, which follow Ohm's law. Non-linear circuits, such as circuits with diodes, transistors, or capacitors, cannot be simplified using Thevenin equivalent resistance.

5. How does Thevenin equivalent resistance affect the overall behavior of a circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance affects the overall behavior of a circuit by simplifying it to a single resistor. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the circuit's behavior, such as voltage and current distribution. It also helps in determining the maximum power that can be delivered to a load resistor in the circuit.