Did I build my circuit correct on the bread board (pics)

In summary: Better to use a common reference.In summary, the chip being used is an LM741CN, the scheme of pins can be found here, and better options for input and output are being discussed.
Engineering news on Phys.org
no you did not wire it correctly, you might also want to put a 22pf cap across r2 to stop high freq oscillations .

Attachments

• Sunday_11_January_2015 12_58_46snap.png
    Sunday_11_January_2015 12_58_46snap.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 448
Short answer? No.

Does it have to do with both legs of the 9.1k Ohm resistor being on the same node? I moved one of the legs to the output node.

Bystander said:
Short answer? No.
better?

You're terrifying me with the use of power supply rails for input and output.

Bystander said:
You're terrifying me with the use of power supply rails for input and output.

What would be a better option for input? Is my resistance configuration right atleast?

You're missing a common connection for the two power supply rails. The 1k end of the voltage divider needs to be connected to that common.

Very quick note regarding power for the op-amp: you will generally (not always) be looking for three connections, 1) a positive voltage (+15, or 9 for a 741); 2) a negative voltage (-15); and, 3) a common, ground plane, source reference tying the low end of the positive, and the high end of the negative supply sources together. i.e., two nine volt batteries in series, the positive terminal of one being the positive source, and the negative terminal of the other the negative source, and the connection between the two being the common, ground, reference plane for the circuit.

baller2353 said:

closer but still several wiring probs ... am going to try and modify your pic
be back soon

Bystander ... the 741 will operate from a single rail PSU :)

davenn said:
the 741 will operate from a single rail PSU :)
Been a few years. I'll leave this to you --- you're obviously more "current" on the topic.

with a single rail you just cannot obtain full swing from 0V to VCC miss by a couple of volts at each end ...OK here's a quick (rough) drawing on the same board you used ... don't have a BB with me to do an actual construction and photo

opamp1.JPG

for power rails its always good practice to use the + line on one side and the - line on the other side of the board

you can see there are only 2 jumpers ... 1 from pin 4 to 0V rail and 1 from pin 7 to +V rail

the 2 wires going off the bottom of the board from pins 3 and 6 are input and output respectively
you can see the wiring is much less complicated :)

Dave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
with a single rail you just cannot obtain full swing from 0V to VCC miss by a couple of volts at each end ...
No different than split supply. The 741 is not a rail to rail op-amp. Makes no difference where the reference is that we call 'ground'.

1. Did I place the components in the correct positions on the breadboard?

The placement of components on a breadboard is crucial for a circuit to function properly. Double-check the schematic and make sure each component is in the correct position according to its pins.

2. Are the connections secure on the breadboard?

It is important to ensure that all connections on the breadboard are secure. Use a multimeter to test for continuity and make sure there are no loose connections.

3. Did I connect the positive and negative rails correctly?

The positive and negative rails on a breadboard are usually designated by red and blue lines. Make sure you have connected the power source correctly to avoid short circuits.

4. Are there any jumper wires crossing or shorting on the breadboard?

Jumper wires are often used to connect components on a breadboard. Make sure there are no wires crossing or touching each other in the circuit, as this can cause malfunctions.

5. Have I followed the circuit diagram correctly?

Double-check your breadboard circuit against the schematic to ensure that you have followed it correctly. Any mistakes in the circuit diagram can lead to incorrect functioning of the circuit on the breadboard.