Dielectric Filled Parallel Plate Capacitor Question

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor with rectangular plates measuring 44.0 cm by 30.0 cm and a mylar dielectric (κ=3.2) can be charged to a maximum voltage of 1600 V without electrical breakdown. To find the thickness of the dielectric, the equation E(through dielectric) = E0/κ can be used, with E0 being the field between the plates without any dielectric. The minimum thickness for 1600V breakdown can also be determined by looking up the dielectric strength for mylar.
SabreV45

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor has rectangular plates measuring 44.0 cm by 30.0 cm, and can be charged to 1600 V maximum ΔV without electrical breakdown. The gap between the plates is fulled with mylar dielectric (κ=3.2). Find the thickness of the dielectric.

Homework Equations

C=κC0
C=Q/ΔV
C00(A/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I am missing an equation needed to solve this question. The way I had this question set up, I wasn't able to solve without a value for Q.

Physics news on Phys.org
SabreV45 said:

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor has rectangular plates measuring 44.0 cm by 30.0 cm, and can be charged to 1600 V maximum ΔV without electrical breakdown. The gap between the plates is fulled with mylar dielectric (κ=3.2). Find the thickness of the dielectric.

Homework Equations

C=κC0
C=Q/ΔV
C00(A/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I am missing an equation needed to solve this question. The way I had this question set up, I wasn't able to solve without a value for Q.

The voltage across the dielectric + the voltage across the gap = your total voltage.

Remember in a constant field, voltage is just given as E*d.
And the equation you're missing is :

E(through dielectric) = E0/κ , with E0 the field between the plates without any dielectric.

Apphysicist said:
The voltage across the dielectric + the voltage across the gap = your total voltage.

Remember in a constant field, voltage is just given as E*d.
And the equation you're missing is :

E(through dielectric) = E0/κ , with E0 the field between the plates without any dielectric.

Thanks for the info. I'm still not exactly sure how to solve for the thickness of the dielectric.

I'm mainly having problems setting up with question, once I get it set up I'll be able to solve everything myself. I'm just not able to think of a way to solve this question without having the value for Q.

Cheat. Look up the dielectric strength for mylar and determine the minimum thickness for 1600V breakdown. :smile:

gneill said:
Cheat. Look up the dielectric strength for mylar and determine the minimum thickness for 1600V breakdown. :smile:

I would prefer to be able to understand the calculations needed to determine the thickness of the dielectric. This was a question that I got wrong on a test and am trying to solve them correctly to keep in my records.

Related to Dielectric Filled Parallel Plate Capacitor Question

What is a dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor?

A dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by a dielectric material. The dielectric material increases the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates.

How does a dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor work?

A dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor works by storing electric charge on the two parallel plates, which are separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The dielectric material reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing for a greater amount of charge to be stored.

What are the factors that affect the capacitance of a dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor?

The factors that affect the capacitance of a dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor include the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. The higher the dielectric constant, the greater the capacitance. Additionally, the capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates and directly proportional to the area of the plates.

What are some common uses for dielectric filled parallel plate capacitors?

Dielectric filled parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for filtering and smoothing power supplies, as well as in radio frequency applications for tuning and frequency selection. They are also used in high voltage applications, such as in power transmission, due to their ability to store large amounts of charge.

What are the advantages of using a dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor?

The main advantage of using a dielectric filled parallel plate capacitor is its increased capacitance compared to an air-filled capacitor of the same size. This allows for more energy to be stored in a smaller space. Additionally, dielectric materials can be chosen to have specific properties, such as high breakdown voltage or low leakage current, making them suitable for a variety of applications.