Differential Equation for deceleration of a bullet

In summary, the given problem involves a bullet of mass m striking an armor plate with initial velocity v0. The bullet's motion is impeded by a frictional force which is directly proportional to its velocity, and there are no other forces acting on the bullet. Using Newton's Second Law, an IVP is set up for the position of the bullet. To find the thickness of the plate needed to stop the bullet, a modified version of the harmonic oscillator formula is used. However, there may be errors in the model and the resulting equation yields a mathematically impossible solution. By correcting the sign on the friction term, a negative exponential is obtained, indicating an asymptotic relationship. This can be better visualized with the example of a boat
Unsilenced

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m strikes an amor plate with initial velocity v0. As the bullet burrows into the plate, its motion is impeded by a frictional force which is directly proportional to the bullet's velocity. There are no other forces acting on the bullet.

-Use Newton's Second Law to set up an IVP for the position of the bullet
-How thick should the plate be to stop the bullet?

Homework Equations

[None given with problem]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use a modified version of a harmonic oscillator formula, where there is no spring. Only the momentum of the object and the friction force resisting it.

m*d^2x/dt^2-kdx/dt=0.

However, in solving it I've run into a problem. While I got an equation for x, x(t)=v0*e^Rt/(R-1)-v0/(R-1) (where R=m/k), trying to use that to find the time at which the bullet stops yields

0=v0*R*e^Rt/(R-1)

e^x=/=0, regardless of x, so there is no possible time at which dx/dt=0.

Is my model flawed, or have I made some other error?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unsilenced said:
m*d^2x/dt^2-kdx/dt=0.
Think about what that equation is saying. For a greater dx/dt, what happens to the acceleration?

Unsilenced said:
m*d^2x/dt^2-kdx/dt=0.

Check your sign on the friction term ;)

haruspex said:
Think about what that equation is saying. For a greater dx/dt, what happens to the acceleration?

Acceleration becomes more negative, that is, deceleration increases with velocity. So, I could make both terms negative?

jbrussell93 said:
Check your sign on the friction term ;)

Switching the signs in the initial equation only changes whether R is positive or negative. That doesn't solve the fact that my final equation is mathematically impossible.

Unsilenced said:
Acceleration becomes more negative, that is, deceleration increases with velocity. So, I could make both terms negative?
Yes, but making them both positive is probably less confusing. For example, the equation of motion is:
F=ma=-kv

Now bring them to one side, set a=dv/dt and solve for v(t). Then integrate again to solve for x(t)
Unsilenced said:
Switching the signs in the initial equation only changes whether R is positive or negative. That doesn't solve the fact that my final equation is mathematically impossible.

Yes, you will have a negative exponential which approaches 0 as time goes to infinity. You should be able to solve it from there.

jbrussell93 said:
Yes, you will have a negative exponential which approaches 0 as time goes to infinity. You should be able to solve it from there.

Ah, I see. So it is meant to be asymptotic? I thought it might be, but it didn't make sense from a physical interpretation, I.E that the bullet never stops moving.

Unsilenced said:
Ah, I see. So it is meant to be asymptotic? I thought it might be, but it didn't make sense from a physical interpretation, I.E that the bullet never stops moving.

Yes unless I'm missing something. A better example may be a boat which turns off its motor. How far does it drift before stopping? In this case the asymptotic relation is a bit more realistic. With the bullet-wood example, the k value is much larger so it approaches 0 very quickly. It may help to think of the "wood" instead as being jello :)

jbrussell93 said:
Yes unless I'm missing something. A better example may be a boat which turns off its motor. How far does it drift before stopping? In this case the asymptotic relation is a bit more realistic. With the bullet-wood example, the k value is much larger so it approaches 0 very quickly. It may help to think of the "wood" instead as being jello :)

Yeah, that does make it a bit easier to visualize. In the case of a bullet hitting a metal plate, the medium tends to be denser than the projectile, and all sorts of deformation occurs. In real life this equation would look a bit more like this: http://i.imgur.com/2KA5jiv.gif :p

A non-deforming projectile in a fluid medium makes the result a bit more logical. The result I ended up getting was

xf=v0*m/k

Seems legit.

Unsilenced said:
The result I ended up getting was

xf=v0*m/k

Seems legit.

Yup that's what I calculated as well.

Related to Differential Equation for deceleration of a bullet

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions with their derivatives. It is used to describe the rate of change of a system over time.

How is a differential equation used to calculate deceleration of a bullet?

A differential equation can be used to model the motion of a bullet as it decelerates. It takes into account factors such as the bullet's initial velocity, air resistance, and mass.

What factors affect the deceleration of a bullet?

The deceleration of a bullet is affected by its initial velocity, air resistance, and mass. Other factors such as the shape and composition of the bullet may also play a role.

Can a single differential equation accurately model the deceleration of a bullet?

A single differential equation may not be able to accurately model the deceleration of a bullet, as it is a complex system with many variables. Multiple equations or more complicated models may be needed for a more accurate representation.

Why is the deceleration of a bullet important to understand?

Understanding the deceleration of a bullet is important for various reasons, including improving firearm safety, designing better bulletproof materials, and enhancing our understanding of projectile motion and aerodynamics.