Understanding the Simplified Solution of a Differential Equation

In summary, the general solution of the given differential equation is (x+1)^2 + y^2 + 2ln |C(x-1)| = 0, which can be simplified to (x+1)^2 + y^2 + 2ln |C| = 0 by multiplying the equation with 2 and rewriting the constant as -(2ln[C] + 1). The addition of the numbers +1 and +ln c in the equation is due to the fact that constants can be transformed into their logarithmic form.
relinquished™
I'm asked to find the general solution of the differential equation

[tex]
x^2dx + y(x-1)dy = 0
[/tex]

I obtained a solution of

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}x^2 + x + ln | x-1 | + \frac{1}{2}y^2 = C
[/tex]

The book, however, gives an answer of

[tex]

(x+1)^2 + y^2 + 2ln |C(x-1)| = 0

[/tex]

I'm sure it's a simplified answer of my own answer. What I don't understand is how a term of +1 and +ln c appeared in the equation after transposing it in the equation. I know for a fact that you can transofrm c into (ln c) since they are constants, but the rest I don't get.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all you can multiply your equation with 2, and rewriting you constant to -(2Ln[C] +1) (which is ofcourse just another constant). After that the other answer more or less rolls out:

[tex]x^2 + 2x + 2ln | x-1 | + y^2 = -(2ln|C| + 1)[/tex]
[tex]x^2 + 2x + 1 + y^2 + 2 ln | x-1 | + 2ln|C| = 0[/tex]
[tex](x+1)^2 + y^2+ 2 ln|C(x-1)| = 0[/tex]

i see. I never knew you could add numbers to C. Thanx :)

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation problem?

The purpose of solving a differential equation problem is to find a function that satisfies the equation and accurately represents the relationship between the variables in the problem.

What are the types of differential equations?

There are three main types of differential equations: ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations involve randomness or uncertainty in the equation.

What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and more. They can be used to model and analyze systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What are the steps for solving a differential equation problem?

The general steps for solving a differential equation problem are: 1) Identify the type of differential equation. 2) Determine the appropriate method for solving the equation. 3) Solve the equation using the chosen method. 4) Check the solution for accuracy. 5) If necessary, apply initial or boundary conditions to find a particular solution.