Differential Geometry: Unit Normal Field

In summary, @badgers14 states that the covariant derivative of a vector field is the derivative of the tangent vector at a point with respect to the vector field.
badgers14
Let M be the surface defined by z=x2+3xy-5y2. Find a unit normal vector field U defined on a neighborhood of p on M.

First, I reparameterized the equation for the surface to get x(u,v)=(u,v,u2+3xy-5y2). Next I found two tangent vectors xu(u,v)=(1,0,2u+3v) and xv=(0,1,3u-10v). The next step is where I'm unsure. In the text it gives an equation for the unit normal function, U=(xu X xv)/||xu X xv||. When I use this equation, I come up with
U=(-2u-3v,10v-3u,1)/(sqrt(13u2-54uv+109v2+1)

This just seemed messy to me, not sure if I'm missing something or if that is actually what the answer should look like. Any verification/help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, it's a little messy. I think you are doing everything basically correctly, except you mean x=u and z=v and in z(u,v) you forgot to replace some of the x's and y's with u's and v's. And in the final result I don't agree with your coefficient of uv in the denominator.

Thank you, and here is a follow up question that I'm having a little difficulty with.

Compute the covariant derivatives [tex]\nabla[/tex]u1U and [tex]\nabla[/tex]u2U at p=(0,0,0). Where U is the unit normal vector computed in part (a) and with tangent vectors u1=(1,0,0) and u2=(0,1,0).

First, I computed U at (0,0,0) which was the upward unit normal (0,0,1). From here I'm not sure what the next step is.

badgers14 said:
Thank you, and here is a follow up question that I'm having a little difficulty with.

Compute the covariant derivatives [tex]\nabla[/tex]u1U and [tex]\nabla[/tex]u2U at p=(0,0,0). Where U is the unit normal vector computed in part (a) and with tangent vectors u1=(1,0,0) and u2=(0,1,0).

First, I computed U at (0,0,0) which was the upward unit normal (0,0,1). From here I'm not sure what the next step is.

I'm not sure either. What's your definition of covariant derivative? It looks to me like they must want the covariant derivative in three dimensional space with the usual metric, in which case the Christoffel symbols are zero, and it's pretty much the usual derivative.

Dick said:
I'm not sure either. What's your definition of covariant derivative? It looks to me like they must want the covariant derivative in three dimensional space with the usual metric, in which case the Christoffel symbols are zero, and it's pretty much the usual derivative.

I found this via Google while looking for something else, but it seems by the opening poster's name and the question that we are in the same class at the same university.

We are using Elementary Differential Geometry by Barrett O'Neill and our definition of covariant derivative is:

Let W be a vector field on R3, and let v be a tangent vector field on R3 at a point p. Then the covariant derivative of W with respect to v is the tangent vector [tex]\nabla[/tex]vW = W(p + tv)' at the point p.

@badgers14, I have not done the computations for these problems yet, but I will make another post and let you know what I come up with.

1. What is a unit normal field in differential geometry?

A unit normal field in differential geometry is a vector field that assigns a unit normal vector to each point on a smooth surface. This vector is perpendicular to the surface at that point and points outward from the surface. It is an important concept in understanding the curvature and orientation of surfaces.

2. How is the unit normal field calculated?

The unit normal field is calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface's parametric equations. It is defined as the cross product of the tangent vectors in the u- and v-directions divided by their magnitude. This calculation results in a vector that is normal to the surface at that point and has a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of the unit normal field in differential geometry?

The unit normal field is significant because it helps us understand the shape and curvature of surfaces. It is used to calculate important geometric quantities such as the mean and Gaussian curvatures, which provide information about the surface's local and global behavior. The unit normal field also plays a crucial role in surface integrals and is used in various applications, such as computer graphics and physics.

4. How does the unit normal field change as the surface curves?

As the surface curves, the unit normal field also changes. This is because the direction of the unit normal vector is determined by the surface's local geometry. As the surface becomes more curved, the unit normal vector will change direction, while still remaining perpendicular to the surface at that point.

5. Can the unit normal field be used to determine the orientation of a surface?

Yes, the unit normal field can be used to determine the orientation of a surface. The direction of the unit normal vector determines the orientation of the surface, with the vector pointing outward from the surface in the direction of the normal. By convention, the unit normal vector is usually chosen to point in the direction of the positive normal, which is determined by the right-hand rule.