What Are the Angles for Different Orders of Diffraction?

In summary, the equation states that the distance between lines, or dots, on a diffraction grating is proportional to the sin of the angle between the incoming light and the diffraction grating.
noobie!

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light from a helium-neon laser(lambda=632.8nm) is incident normally on a diffraction grating containing 6000lines/cm.Find angles at which the 1storder,2nd..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here goes my solutions,
given lambda=632.8 X 10^9 ,but 6000lines/cm what does it mean?is that represents d,distance?i have no idea how to start,can you please hint me,thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org

Imagine a little fence which is constructed with four fence posts per meter. What is the spacing between the posts?

That should help you with the meaning of "6000 lines/cm".

heth said:
Imagine a little fence which is constructed with four fence posts per meter. What is the spacing between the posts?

That should help you with the meaning of "6000 lines/cm".

hmm..umm is that mean its actually refers to coverage of an area?so 6000lines/cm X10^-2 change into 6000lines/m and then use d formula d=l/N ?but i can't get the answer..:frown:

The units for your grating are "lines per cm". Just like the units for the fence are "posts per m".

No mention of area at all in the problem.

If you work out how to calculate the distance between the posts (which is easier to imagine than lines you can't really see) then you can use the same method to calculate the distance between the lines.

If you can't see how to use that, I'd suggest going back to your textbook and writing out in words what each of the letters in the equation you're trying to apply represents, and thinking about what the values would be for your problem.

heth said:
The units for your grating are "lines per cm". Just like the units for the fence are "posts per m".

No mention of area at all in the problem.

If you work out how to calculate the distance between the posts (which is easier to imagine than lines you can't really see) then you can use the same method to calculate the distance between the lines.

If you can't see how to use that, I'd suggest going back to your textbook and writing out in words what each of the letters in the equation you're trying to apply represents, and thinking about what the values would be for your problem.

ok,i got you,i use d=l/N ; l= 10^-2 , N =6000 thus, 10^-2/6000 so my d =1.67 X 10^-6 afterall i shall applied sin@=m X lambda / d ...CORRECT?

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a transparent material with a series of parallel lines or grooves etched onto its surface. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, making it a useful tool for studying the properties of light.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, the parallel lines on its surface cause the light waves to interfere with each other, producing a diffraction pattern. This pattern contains information about the different wavelengths of light present in the original beam.

3. What are some applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings are used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. They are commonly used in spectrometers to analyze light from sources such as stars, and in lasers to produce a specific wavelength of light. They are also used in optical instruments like telescopes and microscopes.

4. How is the number of lines on a diffraction grating related to its performance?

The number of lines on a diffraction grating is directly related to its performance. A grating with more lines per unit length will produce a higher quality diffraction pattern and have a higher resolution. However, a grating with too many lines can become difficult to manufacture and may also cause overlapping of the diffraction pattern.

5. Can diffraction gratings be used with other types of radiation besides visible light?

Yes, diffraction gratings can be used with other types of radiation such as X-rays, ultraviolet light, and infrared light. However, the spacing between the lines on the grating must be adjusted to match the wavelength of the radiation being used in order to produce a clear diffraction pattern.